3 maxijet 1200's with wavemaker system, or 2 SEIO 1500's

zrs6v4

In Memoriam
I lost my last post, So I am down to these options. I have a 120 gallon 48x24x24 tank with Mag 12 pump split into dual returns from the corners of the tank, and a maxi jet 1200 from the bottom. I think my tank could use some more flow so I can't decide whether to leave it how it is, buy 2 more maxijet 1200's and run all three with the wavemaker, or buy 2 of the SEIO 1500 gph powerheads. heres what I have and plan to do with my tank.

Fish- various Tangs, diamond goby clwns, cleaners

Corals- not sure, but only very easy maintenance Soft corals because I am more into the fish

I have had the tank running now for 2 weeks with 160lbs of live sand and 140lbs of live rock. mag 7 into the sump. I dont think this matters, but I am running carbon packets,live rock, miracle mud, and a large foam filter in the sump. thanks for the help

My 3 MJ 900's on the NaturalWave wavemaker make my SEIO's look like crap.

The SEIO's use way to much power, are large and would freeze up on me.

Make the simple mod to the MJ's (took me about 5 minutes) and they will switch direction every time they go on and off and it also increases the flow.

I would rather have 1/2 the flow and alternating currents than just the standard one direction powerhead setup. Those setups creat a constant current that makes dead spots.

TO sum it up, I have two 50 dollar SEIO's in the junk pile. To much energy used and there are better solutions.

how does the wave maker system actually work, or what does it do? also how can I learn to mod my mj 1200s to switch directions?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8139023#post8139023 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by zrs6v4
how does the wave maker system actually work, or what does it do? also how can I learn to mod my mj 1200s to switch directions?

http://www.geocities.com/nivenboug/Cutmaxijets.html

I cut mine farther than that, actually as far as possible, and drilled holes in a circle around the regular intake hole.

The NaturalWave powerbar has three outlets that switch every 2 min to 20 seconds or so. You can adjust the timing with a small knob on the outlet bar. it has three non-timed standard outlets to.

The real advantage comes from the design of the Maxi-jets and the mod you can make. Basically you just cut of the nozzle. I also drilled a few holes to hopefully add some more flow by increasing the intake potential.

Most important is the mod makes the powerheads themselves switch directions every time they go on and off. THey switch by about 45 degrees. So not only do you get alternating powerheads for wavemaking, but each of those powerheads ALSO switch directions.

I also have a SCWD return in the mix. Made a low budget, cheap and low power wavemaker for me.

here is a thread on it.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=326587&highlight=maxijet+modification

The 900's blow across my 4' tank with the mod.

Another great thing is if you ever want even more flow, you can mod them further with the Stream mod. Takes some time and I think 10-20$, but they match the expensive TUNZE systems in efficiency and power.

Maxi-Jets are great. Only powerheads I will use from now on

ok so what I gathered from the reading is all that you have to do is cut off the exhaust tube and leave the intake. and by doing this it will blow water wider, and if i hooked it up to a wavemaker then it would make the water go different directions? My question is will the water switch directions if i did this mod without the wavemaker?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8139183#post8139183 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by zrs6v4
ok so what I gathered from the reading is all that you have to do is cut off the exhaust tube and leave the intake. and by doing this it will blow water wider, and if i hooked it up to a wavemaker then it would make the water go different directions? My question is will the water switch directions if i did this mod without the wavemaker?

Every time you turn it on and off.. :)

Yes, it would need an on/off timer to switch directions.

Sorry, newbie here and a little slow minded so could someone explain this mj mod a little more. I understand the part where cutting off the exit pipe, it makes the stream wider. But how does it change direction when it turns on and off. Also, what do you mean by changing direction. Will the stream of the water be directed else where other than the exit nozzle?

There is also the cheap mod that will allow the MJ900 to flow around 1600gph. You won't get the directional thing but you will get a ton of flow.

There is a thread around here somewhere about it and you can order the parts from mjmods.com

e46mpower: it has the *potential* to change direction each time it turns on & off, but not necessarily each & every time. I think it's basically a 50/50 chance of going either direction, so likely it will not be 100% change every time. The reason is due to AC power. If it were DC power, such as tunze, they impeller would turn the same direction each time. But with AC, the impeller can start in either direction. I think this has to do with polarity...I'll defer that to the electrical folks ;)

This is the reason seios make noise on startup and why the mjmod for increased flow needs a prop stopper, to correct the rotation of the prop if it starts the wrong way. With a boat prop, that's an huge issue. But, with the standard mj impeller, direction is not an issue cuz it pushes water the same either way (blades are flat, not angled/directional like boat props).

hope this makes some sense.

rob

Back