3 out of 7 Fish die in one night?

SteveJakubiec

In Memoriam
Hi, well when I woke up this morning to take a look at the fish tank, I was shocked. My Tomini Tang, Lubbock's Fairy Wrasse, HawkFish, and Tri Color Fairy Wrasse, had died! I checked the water parameters this morning and they were all in order. What could have caused this?

Ammonia:0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10
Ph: 8.1
Phosphates: 0
Calcium: 420
dKH: 10
Magnesium: 1350

euod

Sad to hear you lost a few great fish there. Hope you can figure out what went wrong, if any.

Did you add any new fish recently?

Any slight hint of velvet?

SteveJakubiec

In Memoriam
Could you show me a picture of velvet? No other fish had any symptons of any outward disease, they were swimming and eating fine @ the end of the day for their last feeding.

Recty

Looks to me like 4 out of 7 fish died.

Any signs of damage to the fish? Any physical "phenomena" on them that might give a clue as to what caused them to give up the ghost?

What fish are left alive in the tank?

Sk8r

Staff member
RC Mod
Oxygen could have been a problem if you had caulerpa in the picture or some other sort of depletion.

leaking voltage maybe.

SteveJakubiec

In Memoriam
Well, one clown doesn't really look like he'll make it, and the leopard wrasse just had sand on it's head, so it wasn't velvet.

SteveJakubiec

In Memoriam
No, I didn't use a sanitizer, but I did recently pull out a dead fish, could it have been something on my hands, tho I don 't wear skin lotion. I run carbon/chemi pure in my filter.

Recty

Even just a little bit of left over soap on your hands from washing them can be enough to kill off a fish.

I always try to never place my hands into the tank unless I REALLY need to. I have tongs to do all the manual work, the only time my hands go in is if I have to move rock around and before doing that I wash my hands real well, then I dry them with a clean towel, then I rinse them again without using soap and dry again.

Anal, maybe, but I just try really hard not to get anything into the water. My fish seem to appreciate it.

Not saying that is what killed your fish, but obviously something changed in the water quality/chemistry if you had 4 out of 7 fish die in a day.

iceemn360

hmm something else seems awry. I think that something else water parameter wise may be off. but perhaps also poisoning. were there any airsols/ cleaning solutions used near the tank? I used to have a smaller freshwater tank that the housekeeper kept accidentally spraying cleaning solution into it when she was cleaning a vase next to it. Any other siblings thatmay have an explanation?

Recty

If you havent yet, I would certainly do a 25% water change immediately and plan on doing one again in another 2 days.

Almost always if my fish start looking sick or just in general acting weird, I do a water change. Helps with 90% of the problems out there it seems.

Peter Eichler

Test your PH before lights on some morning and report the results. Also, what alkalinity test kit are you using and are you good about keeping your dKH at 10?

SteveJakubiec

In Memoriam
I use API Test kits. I have a two part doser for Calcium and alk. I will be setting up a kalk dripper once I build my sump.

Philwd

Premium Member
IME the most likely cause for such a dieoff overnight is oxygen deprivation. Your active fish, for the most part, were the ones that died first.

What caused this? Bacterial bloom, something died and caused a chain reaction, temp spike. Did you have a power outtage? Even a short one? Take your skimmer offline?