30g cube T5 question Tek vs Nova vs Finnex

MattNoyes

After much researching, I have decided on going with T5's for my 30 cube. I am debating which fixture to go with, Tek light, Nova extreme, or Finnex. Also deciding on 2x24w or the 4x24w fixture. It seems that T5's give you the best bang for your buck as far as lighting goes. I am planning on softies/lps and maybe some sps in the top 1/3 of the tank. One of the reasons I am not going metal halide is the tank is in my bedroom and I dont want the extra heat associated with having that next to the bed.
One more thought, are there any fixtures with adjustable legs to allow it to sit on a 20.5" tank?

I am setting one up also. I am going with MH since I can't find a fixture that will not hang off the sides.

--Ray

I decided that 1.5-2" of overhang is not a huge deal. I may end up building a canopy for it anyway so that will help hide the extra bit

Same plans as any other canopy, but make it wider to fit the light then just fit strips of wood where it should be resting on the tank trim. The canopy will be bigger than the tank in length.
To reduce any light spill over on the edges (because it will overhang), just fit pieces of wood where the gap on each side is, not to difficult at all. Remember all the uglyness wood work should be hidden with paneling.

I use the Coralife hang on 150W MH pendant on my 30 gallon cube. I think it's great and doesn't add any noticible heat. Looks great on the cube also.

I got my Finnex 4x24w fixture in the mail last Thursday. It arrived DOA. I requested a refund. The bulbs are made by Jalli and the ballasts inside the fixture look super cheap. They looked so cheap in fact that I didn't want to own a replacement, even if it did work. Don't get the finnex.

I wouldnt touch anything that isnt made by either Icecap, Tek or aquatinics when talking about T5s....

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7538129#post7538129 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Horace
I wouldnt touch anything that isnt made by either Icecap, Tek or aquatinics when talking about T5s....

I second that!

Back