30g FOWLR Valentini puffer tank

Silly clownfish

After upgrading my main tank to a 75g, I restarted my old 30g (sumpless, HOB filter, bakpak2 skimmer) as a FOWLR. I have had a valentini puffer in there for about 6 months and would like to add another fish, preferably something that I can't have in my DT, or at least not something I already have in the DT.

In my DT I have an ocelaris clown, flame hawk, randalls goby, one spot foxface rabbitfish, green mandarin, solar wrasse, and an orchid dottyback in QT as the final fish.

The puffer tank does have some coral frag from pieces that get broken off in the DT, but those are all expendable.

There aren't a lot of non-reef-friendly fish that can go in a 30g...

So far my top choice is a long nose hawk. Yes, I have a hawk in the main tank, but they look pretty different and it seems that valentini and ling nose is a fairly common combination and they are compatible. I was considering a blenny, but since the tank doesn't have much algae, I don't think that is a great idea.

Any other suggestions??

My other thought is a coral beauty angel. I wouldn't trust it in my main tank with corals and a clam. LA says they need a 70g, but Scott Michael's book and Blue Zoo say 30g.

I had cherub angels in a 30g twice over the years. The first for 2.5 years (eaten by a crab that hitch hiked in on some LR). The second I had for over 7 years. I am not sure what caused the demise of that one, but a rapid temperature change may have been a contributing factor. Bottom line, I have successfully kept a similar, but slightly smaller angel in this size tank long term. I think that my use of a decent amount of rock, arranged wit lots of tunnels and caves helps a lot. My cherubs seemed to enjoy swimming between the rocks and being able to weave around.

My concern is twht this would be 2 fish who are both in a minimally sized tank for their species. Yes, the hawk also has a 30g minium tank size, but I think with his perching nature, he's not really in the same space as the puffer.

Opinions on a coral beauty in this tank?

Still open to other suggestions.

Maybe not a coral beauty. But something smaller like an African Flameback angel.

Leaf fish? Might need to upgrade filtration though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did think about leaf or frogfish, but don't want to put something that needs live food in this tank.

Flameback angel might work.

Back