30g hair algae

tangyreefer05

Hello, My 30g has some rocks that are getting overrun by hair algae and I need to do something soon, I can pull some of it out with my hands but it still is a problem. What do you recommend? My live stock: 30lbs lr, condy, 1 damsel, two shrimp and some snails/blue leg crabs.

You listed what causes part of the problem, now please list the cure. List what you are doing for nutrient export. What kind of skimmer, water changes with RO/DI, etc...

corallife super skimmer, the biggest one. Water changes once a month, im trying to keep up with once every 2 weeks. No RO water, its water from my apartment, and I use stress coat with this water. The algae isnt that bad I just was thinking about maybe a fish or invert that would help clean up the hair algae. But if I remember its not that easy with hair algae in a tank this small. It also gets direct sunlight during the later hours of the day, but not for long. I could probably manage it manually myself at this point, but wanted some tips on livestock that may help clean it out.

Last edited:
I would stay away from getting a lawnmower blenny or any other "specialized" feeder like that to solve a problem. I got mine under control by nutrient export (via skimming and a macro-algae refugium) and using RO/DI water, which doesn't introduce alot of the excess nutrients into the water in the first place... Also be careful not to over feed the tank. It's all about out competing and not feeding the nuisance algae!

I would start with employing RO? DI water for all of your freshwater needs, such as topping off and water changes. I also think that your frequency of water changes should be increased to every 2 weeks. Also try a good size clean up crew.

Back