30k Lokani turning white

qwuintus

I just noticed my 30k Lokani is slowly turning white from the body instead of from the base or tips.

This is strange as one of my other SPS corals is recovering from necrosis so I assumed my tank was doing ok.

I will do a water test by the end of today. Other than that, looking at my coral placement|water flow|etc is there anything you guys can see I need to modify?

IMG_3644.jpg

IMG_3542.jpg

IMG_3536.jpg

IMG_3642.jpg

Tank specs:

34g Solana

I have a AI Sol Blue 100% white 80% blue 70% royal settings. I just turned it up this past week. It took me at least a month to ramp up from 50% white.

I also added a par38 spot light that I've been running for 2 weeks.

Water movement is via a Koralia and Vortech mp10. I just added the Vortech a few days ago.

I also started running Chemi-Pure Elite a few days ago.

My cheato is very small and I am running a Remora skimmer with mj1200.

In comparison I just want to post a pic of how my other corals are doing. This guy seems happy.
IMG_3525.jpg

I'm thinking it might not be water quality, but perhaps placement of the pumps, the coral itself or lighting since all my other coral are doing well.

Last edited:

qwuintus

Ok. I'm going to remove the large Chem-pure Elite and switch it out with the smaller bag that I've been using my my 29g frag tank. I'm also going to do a 5g water change today and tomorrow morning.

I will test alk, calc, pH, and nitrates today and in a few days. Hopefully the issue clears up.

qwuintus

My water levels are pretty embarrassing. I will save the e-frown I expect and will just update this thread as I remedy the issues. At least I know there is something to be done. If my levels were perfect I would be stumped on what to do next.

gon08

My water levels are pretty embarrassing. I will save the e-frown I expect and will just update this thread as I remedy the issues. At least I know there is something to be done. If my levels were perfect I would be stumped on what to do next.

Even when levels are perfect a coral can still take a dive. Keep in mind that they are living animals and there are many other things that can affect and/ or kill a coral despite perfect conditions.

Logzor

Perhaps too much light, you're running an AI module as well as a PAR38 bulb, that puts some of your corals under like 800+ PAR. Try moving those corals down or dialing your lights back some.

Lol when I saw your first picture I thought your tank was like 150+ gallons...your MP10 looks just like an MP60.

landy

i'd frag what you can now before nothing is left, and move it to a diffrent system if you can.

landy

gon08

I don't see any healthy areas where fragging would be successful. I would leave it alone and hope for the best but it doesnt look good... sorry

I just lost mine after 2 years. Started to RTN and was gone it 4 days
2011-03-26_22-02-11_75.jpg

qwuintus

Time to do a another water change.

I'm reluctant to frag since it would be my first time. I unplugged the par38 and will reduce feeding as my nitrates are high as well.

Still crossing my fingers and very close to sacrificing an animal to the reef gods.

qwuintus

The necrosis spread a little, but I believe it may be STN and not RTN. Last night one of my favorite red hermits cleaned most of the algae growing on the tips.

I also remembered that a few days before the necrosis developed I had lost a pink tip haitian anemone so perhaps it released some sort of toxin in the water.

I have continued to do 5g water changes but I ran out of salt. This gave me time to procure some ro/di water so I will be back in action soon.

Toadally

It also looks like that coral is in the line of fire from your mp10. That may also have some effect on it.

SPSEMPIRE

Sorry to hear about the lokani. These soft tissue acropora corals with show stress signs before other corals start to get stressed.

Your tank looks really clean. More than likely, this is due to the chemipure. You are also running a smaller system and it is really easy to add too much of this stuff. This, along with your other parameters, is the cause of your stn.

Remove the chemipure and do some extra water changes. Double check your temperature swings and your pH swings too. Good luck with the lokani!

qwuintus

It took me a while to control my nitrates and salinity but I got nitrates down to 0 and salinity to 1.026 from 1.030!!

In the process my lokani lost more tissue but I'm still crossing my fingers that it will recover. It's amazing how my other sps have recovered from the stress of being moved around so quickly, yet the lokani is melting. All part of the hobby I guess :)

Anyway I found this worm on the Lokani the night more tissue fell off.
IMG_3703.jpg

mcoomer

Rat Bastard!
It also looks like that coral is in the line of fire from your mp10. That may also have some effect on it.

I wondered about that too. I once put a Purple Plasma to close to an MP40 and had great PE...until I blew all the flesh off it litereally overnight.

Mike