33 gallon trash can rodi water stinks?

puddlemaker38

about a week ago I bought a 33 gallon brute trash can.it has Rosalt water and it and last night I went to go get in my closet and I noticed that something smelled horrible. after pulling the lid off of the can I noticed that it was coming from the water and there was a strange film on top. I took the lid off and put a powerhead on it overnight and the smell still remained. did I just get unlucky or is this mold? I'm still new to this hobby and if anyone could shed some light on this and help me to prevent this from happening again that would be great

You need to have a pump in there circulating the water the whole time so it doesnt sit and get stagnant,and dont heat the water until you actually do the WC. Otherwise saltwater can usually keep for a while. I've personally kept saltwater for a few weeks before using it.

I have heard of people having the same problem with the brute garbage cans. They switched to food grade drums and didn't have any issues after that. I know there are a lot of people who use the brute garbage cans with no issues what so ever. But to me its not worth losing 30 gallons of good salt water.

I use brute cans but I have come across a few that have smelled like dirty gym socks. A friend of mine had one like that we tried to bleach it and acid wash the inside and nothing fixed it except a new brute can(or drum if that's the route you go)

I turn my power head off after the salt mixes in and let it set for up to a week. I use the drums and have never had a bad smell.

I use a 22G Brute for mixing. I get a brown film on the walls, power head, and heater if I leave water in for more than 24 hrs or so. I use IO Reef Crystals.

yea im going to switch to the drums. any one have a link to the guy on craigslist or would M.S. have them for sale? I'm not going to tempt fate with the trash can again.

did i read your water is in your closet, like with clothes and other everyday stuff.....if so, it is very possible you cross-contaminated the water with something. drafts from open windows, dirt from your hands, clotshes, coats...you get it.

i too use a 20 g brute and never have problems, but i only use that space for SW and FW water storage, mixing, etc. I dont keep mine moving with a powerhead, but i go through about 20g a week between topoff and 5 gallon WC.

I would say dump it, bleach the brute (1 cap bleach per gallon of freshwater then rinse very well and dry with a clean unscented towel, yes, even the scents on your towels and soaps can cross-contaminate. If you smell bleach when you are done, rinse again with hot water.....it should smell like plastic, not bleach). Then start over, and keep a lid on it. i fill mine with the lid open just enough for the rodi gate valve to fit in snuggly.

Back