36" T-5's Setup

Rich_1833

Premium Member
I am looking to set up 6 X T5s on my 58g tank the tank is 36inches long and 18 inches wide. Ive been looking at retro kits but cant pick the right one out. I think I want the Ice cap SLR reflector because I head there the best. Can anyone recommend some good stuff to use here. I looked into the Icecap setup and that would cost around $600.00. Can I do it cheaper without losing any performance.

I just switched over to T5's from PCs on a 65g tank, same dimensions but 24" high. I'm using an IceCap 660 to run 3 36" bulbs (Gman Actinic Plus, Gman Midday, and ATI AquaBlue) and 2x24w (ATI Blue Plus & UV Super Actinic) Tek retro kit in front and back for dusk/dawn. I'm using IceCap SLR's on each of them. You can buy an 2x39w or 4x39w IceCap retro with the 660 ballast at AquariumSpecialty. The 660 will run 2, 3, or 4 bulbs. I would use the Tek Retro for the other 2 bulbs.

I went with the 2x24w bulbs for front and back so that I would have a bit better access for feeding or adding things (topoff water, additives, etc.)

the thing is that the Icecap overdrive the 39w lights to about 55-55w I think, were the sunlight doesnt so that is about 16w a bulb and 96 watts total differents.

I went with the IceCap 660 mostly for its adaptability. I started out with just 2 39w bulbs and added the 3rd bulb later. If you plan on running 6 bulbs, you probably do not need to overdrive them with the IceCap and can stick with the Tek retros. You could even start out with a 2x39w IceCap retro (with the 660 ballast) and a 2x39w Tek retro. That combo with bulbs would be about $400 and then add 1-2 bulbs later on the 660 if you feel you need them. That is the route I went.

Back