4 x 24w t5 over 30g

redFishblue

I am setting up a tank for a friend and was wondering if 4 x 24w t5 Tek fixture was enough light for sps? I know people keep acros under T5's but most seem like they use higher wattage bulbs, and not the 24 watt bulbs that comes with the 24" fixture.

It should work great for what you want it, but if its a 30 gallon cube it might go over the edges some.

I have the 4 x 24 tek fixture over my 29 gallon. I got mine at reefgeek for around 230 w/o bulbs. The t-5's are great I have a crocea and a few different SPS including acros. Their color and growth has been great so far. 4 x 24 is definately plenty of light for all sps and clams in my experience.

you have clams and sps under the 4x24 fixture? Now i'm upset.....i was looking at that and a coralife 130 watt PC fixture and my LFS told me to definitely get the coralife........

From all the reading I did on T5's it will all depend on the fixture or more importantly whether the bulbs have individual reflectors like the tek fixture has. If the fixture has the individual refletors then yes sps and clams will do just fine. I have not seen any tanks though that are running T5 fixtures without individual reflectors so I can really say how much of a difference they really make, but I am assuming it is a very noticeable difference.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7524683#post7524683 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tampausmc
you have clams and sps under the 4x24 fixture? Now i'm upset.....i was looking at that and a coralife 130 watt PC fixture and my LFS told me to definitely get the coralife........

I think you need a new LFS.

I have the 4x24w over my 20g tang and keep everything in there, too.

Aaron

Back