40 Breeder in entryway!

Slammed01

Hi all, just getting everything together as I've been debating SW vs Fresh. Feel like cichlids would get boring so SW it is prob fish only or FOWLR for a bit.

Currently have:
40B aqueon
Aquatic fundamentals stand 50/65
Penguin 350

Aqueon pro 150w heater

API test kit bit FW so need to exchange

Current USA freshwater light, went to exchange but don't want back so maybe donate and upgrade.

On order:
Instant Ocean 160 gallon salt mix bucket

40LBs seaflor special sand

Need:
New light (looking for recommendations,trying to avoid building a canopy)
Rock
Koralia 750 (2 eventually)
RODI

4311dbd1f4eb2b3030a2a8b951238760.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hi, the tank fits that space nicely. Are you planning on using a protein skimmer ? Even if you do a FOWLR I️ would recommend you get a slimmer if possible. Good luck with your build.

Hi, the tank fits that space nicely. Are you planning on using a protein skimmer ? Even if you do a FOWLR I️ would recommend you get a slimmer if possible. Good luck with your build.

I'm open to suggestions for a HOB, no sump on this one and thank you!

I've no personal experience with hang on back skimmers. But I've read good things about the aquamax and reef octopus skimmers. The one I️ would personally chose is the aquamax since I️ prefer the design.

The noise of water dropping all the time drives me nuts but to each his own. You can run a canister but I'm not really a fan of that. If you do be sure to stay on top of cleaning it or you will have issues. I'm not really a fan of HOB stuff but you certainly can run a successful tank that way. If you are going to run a canister though then you might as well run a small sump instead. I'm sure a 10gal would fit in that stand at the very least.

How would a SB Reef light 16" or Galaxy Hydro 120* do hung from a canopy? My RB value worked good on a 46 bow. (36x12 edge and 16" center (with center brace.

Aquamaxx HOB1 skimmer is great, I used it on my 40b. I don't know what price range you're looking to spend on lighting but I ran a Maxspect Razor LED fixture on my tank.

40 Breeder in entryway!

Order placed for 50 lbs of reefcleaners rock today! $90

BRS 4 stage RODI plus with float $170

36" Current USA orbit marine with free mount and price matched amazon with a $50 GC offer $134

Just need my brute can, buckets, powerheads (using GC) and a mixing ph also to use for water changes.

API SW test kit petco marked to $9 too!

Last edited:
They won't stay like that for long after you add some fish! I'm building a 40b right now in my living room. A little different cuz I'm running a sump and drilled the tank myself just my preference I've always had a sump best of luck.
5d688487d894104fbe648ff9f96a58fd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Zuti, what does you cabinet look like for that build?
Really ugly haven't really put a lot of time/effort into that. I was thinking of one big removable pannel for the front that gives me easy access for maintenance.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Time for a water change, got 2 clowns on Saturday and one was acting funny today. Swimming at top, Dosed prime and all was well so far, nitrates seem high around 10 ppm.

Thinking 10% wc/4 gallons.

0e472b22781667e9bb1d6f971d1bca3f.jpg

Back