40 breeder

I ran mine for 3 years w/o a fuge/sump. But now im putting one on. Its really up to you. You'll probably want one eventually, and you will need one if you want anything other than a HOB skimmer. But I found that a a beginer who was still working on learning basics, I didnt need it right away. Plus when I started this hobby, I used to like to go the cheapo route. 3 skimmers, 2 lighting systems later I have a different perspective.

I got a 40 drilled in the bottom middle. Then had a glass overflow box built around the holes. Homemade standpiped and return with some locline. Bang..done. But drilling the back works, corner overflows, drilled in the bottom, work. Its up to you. Read around on some threads and see what you like.

so the tank im buying with stand is going to be about $200 is this a good deal? is there cheaper? any thoughts?

well now i have another question what about a fuge should i drill the tank or not or what?

like said above, its all up to you and what you want to do w/the tank. I have absolutely no problems w/excess nutrients like nitrates/phosphates (which turn into algae) so i dont run a fuge..

About a month ago i took my sump offline because i sort of screwed up w/the overflow...and just decided it wasnt worth it to try to put it back up lol. I wasnt even using a skimmer, all i was doing was adding about 10g of water tops.

200 new isnt bad. That seems pretty normal, maybe a little lower...

When i got mine, i paid 400 for the tank, stand, cheapo light strip, 40 pounds of freshwater gravel, a heater, and a canister filter...so i had about 200 bucks of extras...maybe not quite.

So does anyone have any prefrences to whether they have a canopy or not, me and my friend were thinking of building one instead of just having a light ficture because some of the fish we want are jumpers

I much prefer a canopy. A nice one though, not cheap ones like the one i tried to make one time haha. I like the ones that are open on the back so you can get all your equipment in there, and then i just put an eggcrate over the whole back to keep stuff in. Some people use screen which would work better, i just used what i had.

Back