40 breeder

birdy607

well a friend of mine and I r going to buy a 40 breeder and were wondering what peoples expeinces with this size tank have been were really excited

They look nice.I just ordered a 30 breeder should be here tommorow.I wanted something shallow for a frag tank.Good luck!

my friend wants to put metal halieds over it i think we can get away with t5 chould we get metal hailide

I'm putting together a 40BR right now, too. It's a nice-sized tank. I really like it because it adds a lot of depth and swimming area to the tank. It's not as easy to light because it is deeper, front-to-back, so more bulbs may be needed if using PC, T-5, or any other tube-style fluorescents. But I think it'll be a lot easier to get a nice aquascape in there than say a 55G tank that's long and narrow.

www.hellolights.com if new or your local reef club for cheaper used stuff.

I picked up two 250w icecaps and retro reflector setup with bulbs for $200 from someone local. Just have to look around and be patient.

i have a 40br sps tank. I light it with 4x60W T5 (39w overdrive by IC660). I am pretty sure you can keep anything with t5 that you can keep with MH.

I really like the 40br size. I have an external overflow so no room is taken up in the tank.

I have been running a 40 breeder sumpless of r 3 years. My 1st reef and it is a great tank.

Im in the proscess of putting a sump on it and just ordered a Reef Octopus NW-150 for said sump. People seem to like this line of skimmers, good price for the quality and size. Id suggest looking into them, and Im looking forward to setting mine up.

If you're looking for a skimmer, I might have a suggestion for you. I just purchased an Octopus NW-150 skimmer from www.marinesolutionsinc.com.

Now, it just arrived this afternoon, so I haven't had a chance to try it, yet. But it's a needle-wheel skimmer, and I've heard pretty much nothing but good things about it, especially for the price. $125, which is cheaper than most skimmers, period. And they shipped it fast; it got here in 2-3 days. And support e-mailed me a tracking number on request within a couple hours at most. All-in-all it's been a good experience so far.

Geez... I sound like an ad! lol! :p I'm just excited, that's all. Don't mind me!! :D

havent read this whole thread, but in response to the original question, i love this size tank :) It really is a great one to start with due to ease of lighting and building rock formations in (its deep from front to back, so you get to play w/the rock a bit more...in a standard 55 its so narrow that you basically just have to fit the rock in, and very rarely will you find someone who's got a really good rockscape going on).

here's a full tank shot of my 40 breeder thats been running for over a year...no skimmer, no other filters, just live rock and a lot of flow (although i'm short a seio 620 at the moment!)
IMG_5587.jpg

it says you have a cb angel or coral beauty what has he done to your corals if anything id really like to add one to this new tank

Me? Yes, i still got the Coral beauty...he's in front of the overflow in that pic...Just not a very close pic so you cant see him great.

But he hasnt touched a thing in the tank ever since i put him in thera about 6 months ago or something like that. But they're just hit or miss...guess i got really lucky w/him :)

Back