400-watt Galaxy + Radium

ReefDent

I just finished my upgrade to 400-watters. I went to 2 Radiums on the Galaxy ballasts from 3 250-watt DE on IceCaps, after seeing them in person. This is subjective, but wow, they are perfect!

I was going to go HQI ballast, but this runs them pretty darn white (for a Radium). I dropped down to 2 110-watt VHO actinics, and I am really liking it.

For a bluer bulb, the Radiums just have a really nice color rendition- the pinks seem pinker, the blues bluer... I am staring into the tank more today than I have in a long time, lol!!!

I really wish now I'd have just done the Radiums a long time ago (like when I built the setup!!!) It has always been my favorite bulb, and now I'm finally happy. I'll spend a little less every 6-9 months or so (only 2 MH and 2 VHO to change), which should more than make up for a few more watts of electricity that I use.

:smokin:

James

I definitely can do sps, lol!!! I figured the 1000 watters would be overkill, lol!!! I'll try and get some new ones tomorrow. I also cleaned the glass, something I hadn't done in a week or so... If I can find some older ones, I'll post them, too. I don't know how much more light/ par I'll actually have than the 3 250-watt DEs, but I sure love the color!!!

Heat isn't a problem at all with my setup- the display drains into a 150-gallon rubbermaid stock tank, return is an ampmaster 3000 (to be changed out with a tunze I won at a frag swap raffle). I use both of the holes in the tank as drains, and also have a CPR 600 gph overflow that feeds a skimmer. I think I have pics of the skimmer in my gallery.

James

I'm waiting for the second halide to come on. Then I'll get a couple of pics. I feel like a kid in a candy shop!!

James

First, my pink table millepora in the sump (not radium, lol)

3759IMG_1548.jpg

Pretty close to real life. Actually a little pinker.

Next, the right half (some of my favorite fish and sps, too)!

3759IMG_1559.jpg

And the left half (the rose btas are crowding, I know. I just took 2 more to LFS)

3759IMG_1563.jpg

I hope you like'em, I did not do any photoshopping, only re-sized using photo editor. Shots were taken with flash.

James

Thanks! I'm still loving them! Even the yellow millepora looks nice and yellow. With other bulbs, things just didn't seem as vibrant.

drummereef, if you like the 250s as much as I like the 400s, you'll be very happy!! :lol:

James

Nice pictures James! :thumbsup:

Just one thing that I have found using that setup; When I was keeping mostly SPS, I was running 2x400w Radiums on my 90g with the HQI ballasts and 2x110w VHO's and my growth came to a halt. The corals did color up very nicely under that setup but my growth was at standstill. I ended up going back to 2x250w Iwasaki's and the growth took off again even though I was using 300 watts less.

Looks great I agree 400HQI ballast make them to white and it looses all the blue but I really like what the Galaxy Ballast have done.

Thanks! I'm not an experienced photographer- don't even have a tripod. I spend too much time tinkering with the tank (and the computer) to get really nice pics, expecially macros like some of you guys.

Since I'm changing from higher kelvin bulbs, I'm not expecting much of a growth slowdown. If I were using Iwasakis or AB 10K DEs, I might be a little worried. Some things, like the RBTAs and a few others could slow growth down and I'd be happy, although they do usually get me something nice in trade!!!

James

Yep the Radiums so far have been my fav. in terms of colour rendition.

Kinda interested in the new Helios too though. Supposedly they are very similar to Radiums but with even better PAR.

D.

Back