430g reef tank Lighting

Reef obcession

Just picked up a huge tank and prior to getting started I wanted to ask about lighting. My current tank use's 4 -250w halides but they throw off way to much heat. So Im thinking of doing a large LED system but really want to take my time and do it right. Can anyone that has experince help me with this project,

Thanbks Bill

Personally, I would stack up 18 - 54 watt T5s and call it a day. It is about a PROVEN technology, not one in its infancy, and not time tested even. I have yet to see a tank lit with leds, that looks anywhere close to how a T5 lit tank looks, after 6 mos. or so. Advance the led technology certainly, but experiment with a hobby tank. You are headed to the realm of very serious. Ehhhh, that is just my perspective, now I will let the leder's talk you into leds....... ;)

Jim

I agree with the above poster in general.

In my case, I am lighting a 220g tank with a mix of LED's and T5's. The depth is 30", so the penetration of the LED are not adequate in my opinion. In addition, although the color of the LED's is nice, and if you had a system with a controller (read extra cash) in which you can adjust the spectrum, you still do not the flexibility that you have with T5's on the color front.

For your application i woudl stick with T5's, or as I mentioned I am trying, a mix of the two technologies.

HTH,

The depth is 30", so the penetration of the LED are not adequate in my opinion.

I totally disagree with this. That's like saying, "a four cylinder engine is totally inadequate for this dump truck".

LEDs can easily out perform all other available lighting at depth - if you want it to. It can also be, "inadequate", if that's what you want.

LEDs, also save you 50% on consumption, and an order of magnitude, on replacement costs over their life against T-anything and HID. :celeb1:

And how does 50% more waste heat help any tank that's in a house?:confused:

Well ok, I guess that is why the solaris was such a colossal flop..... ;)

It ain't about watts, it is about known rather than unknown, proven rather than experimental infancy. ALL LIGHT DISSIPATES AS HEAT. In that context it is ALL wasted. Whether it is 100 watts of T whatever or 50 watts of LED, it is all heat. You can't have a percentage increase in "waste heat" It is 100% for any lighting technology. Informed thermal management can keep it from impacting your system.

And yeah that 4 cylinder engine is totally inadequate for that 5 ton dump truck. I imagine a 12 cylinder diesel would work well however. It ain't about the gas mileage, it is about getting the job done. I have not seen leds getting the job done--yet. :D

Jim

wow that really changed my mind s of yet with LED lighting. I was thinking the same in the performance level of the LED compared to t-5 halide combo

Well ok, I guess that is why the solaris was such a colossal flop..... ;)

The Solaris was a colossal flop because it was poorly engineered, had very poor build quality, and the vendor went out of business before they had a chance at a "revision 2." It had absolutely ZERO to do with the fact that there were LEDs in the fixture. There are plenty of examples of vendors selling T5 products, or MH products, that are garbage. That doesn't mean that T5 or MH are bad technologies, or inappropriate for reef aquariums.

It ain't about watts, it is about known rather than unknown, proven rather than experimental infancy. ALL LIGHT DISSIPATES AS HEAT. In that context it is ALL wasted. Whether it is 100 watts of T whatever or 50 watts of LED, it is all heat. You can't have a percentage increase in "waste heat" It is 100% for any lighting technology. Informed thermal management can keep it from impacting your system.

According to that argument, why not just switch to incandescent lamps?

There is clear, repeatable evidence that to light a given tank to a level suitable to grow a given population of corals, an LED rig can be built to consume fewer watts than a T5 or MH rig to get the same result on the same tank. Argue all you want about what each watt gets turned into, this is still true, in the same sense that, generally speaking, the T5 rig for said tank will consume fewer watts than the MH rig.

And yeah that 4 cylinder engine is totally inadequate for that 5 ton dump truck. I imagine a 12 cylinder diesel would work well however. It ain't about the gas mileage, it is about getting the job done.

Let's not confuse properties of a given technology with properties of a given design. LEDs can be designed to work for any tank system, or if the design is poor, they can fail to be adequate for any tank. It's poor logic to assume that a given technology is only appropriate for a given scale of implementation, especially with LEDs, which are easily the most flexible lighting technology used for reef aquariums.

I have not seen leds getting the job done--yet. :D

You must not be looking very hard.

wow that really changed my mind s of yet with LED lighting. I was thinking the same in the performance level of the LED compared to t-5 halide combo

Make up your own mind, but please, don't base it on misleading information (from either side of the argument).

LED technology is indeed in it's infancy, and it's still progressing both in the sense that manufacturers are improving on the raw parts every day, and application of those parts to reef lighting fixtures is changing on a regular basis. But there ARE plenty of examples of proven, long-term tanks using LED lighting - you just have to spend some time looking. Of course, there are many examples of failed LED tanks. But to be fair, there are PLENTY of examples of failed T5 and MH tanks.

LEDs are especially appropriate to large tanks, IMHO, because of the inherent flexibility. If you need lots of light at the bottom of a tall tank, LEDs can work well, given the selection of optics - an advantage over other lighting technologies, where the reflectors available are generally not sold in multiple "widths" of beam angle. This is besides the clear potential for longterm savings in both money and electricity consumption.

But, hey, in the end, it's your tank, and you have to do something you are comfortable with. If you're still interested in LEDs, take a read through the many LED build threads on this forum, especially the mother-thread:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1678127

Start at the end of that thread and work your way backwards, there have been a few recent "summary" posts that give a basic walkthrough of applying LEDs to reef aquariums. Also, check out this thread:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1718642

Especially Soundwave's posts in it, which show coral growth progression shots on his 75g, over roughly a year long period.

Further, who wants to buy 18 t5 bulbs every time they need to be replaced? at $15+ a piece? $270+ Each time? OUCH!

I say go LED's as well. Add in some red LED's all on a dimmer and you can get whatever color outta those corals that you want.

Back