46g bowfront scorp tank

Mustang Boy

hi guys i am setting up a 46g bowfront for 1 leaffish, 1 scorpion fish, 1 dwarf fuzzy lionfish, and maybe a hawkfish

so far i have everythign i want except for my light(using T8 light that came with the tank for now), an AC110, glass top, and to transfer 2 piece of macro covered live rock from my aquapod over to this tank. of course i dont have the CUC or fish yet except for a few crabs and atleast one pistol shrimp that hitchhiked in on the rock i got from tampabay saltwater. Richard over at tampa bay saltwater also threw in a little surprise a gorgonian.

and without further talking here are the pics i know all of you are waiting for

FTS
fts1.jpg

left side of tank
leftside.jpg

center of tank
center.jpg

right side of tank
rightside.jpg

and the gorgonian that i need ID'd
gorgonian2.jpg

looks like a nice setup. my only question might be the possible instability of the rockwork (it looks unstable to me, esp. the top piece on the left).

as for the gorg, it's definitely a photosynthetic species, possibly Pterogorgia or Briareum. it will require some flow to keep it free of algae.

the top left piece is decently stable but when i add the 2 pieces of rock from my aquapod i will most likely move it

and thanks for the ID on the gorg i hope it does ok under my 60w of T8 light until the light i want gets back in stock

Fuzzy Dwarf? Hows he working out for you? Anything a new fuzzy dwarf owner should know? (Probing for info and possibly setting up a tank for one of these guys with some coral)

sorry i cant help you as i have not started adding fish yet. i am still getting all the macro i want. im really taking my time big time on this tank. i have just got great lighting on it recently(6x39w T5HO) and i just purchased a used CPR aquafuge size large that im going to be putting on it soon then i will start looking for the fish i want.

subscribed, im setting up a 33g 48"x12"x12" reef with a fu manchu and 2 redfin waspfish, havent thought about a flame hawk. anys good luck its off to a great start!

yes from everything i have read i havent seen anything that says they mess with corals at all. just the little reef fish and inverts would be in danger which there will be none of in this tank

also i have received an aquafuge size large that i am working on getting in the tank i just have to get a new bulb for a light i already have that will work for it and figure out what exactly i want to put in it. but i am almost positive i am going to include the mantis that hitch hiked in on my rock from tampabaysaltwater. i also have some new pics of the tank with the macro from a few months ago that i forgot to put in this thread

fts.jpg

i have also moved some stuff around since that picture was taken and the macro on the sand towards the left side of the tank has really taken off and has covered most of the sand on the left side and looks great.

Thats Not entirely true. Lionfish in general are reef safe. they are just not Reef Fish safe.

correct.

Reef with lionfish Generally a no no palmer.

do some research. lionfish are considered not reef-safe becuase they will eat any and usually all reef fish and inverts. they dont mess with corals. "reefsafe" is very broad, look into it before you post.

Only been keeping lionfish for 15+ years now. Once again I will say Lionfish + Reef GENERALLY a no no. Perhaps you should read carefully ;) I have personally had lions in a reef, it depends on the nature of that particular lion. I had a Volitan that would get mad and knock corals off rocks. I had a fuzzy that enjoyed tormenting the entire reef. But I have also had ones such as my recent Fu manchu that did perfect in the reef. Before you decide to be a condescending little bloke do some research yourself. Take friendly advice for what it is friendly advice. Just looking out for the well being of the tank and its inhabitants.

Ranzan,

I'd say your experiences are more the exception than the rule when it comes to lions in reefs. That being said, every species of fish has individuals that can be "problematic" as well as others that SHOULD be trouble, but aren't.

I'm curious to hear what you mean by your volitans "getting mad"...they're smart and I've seen them do some unusual things over the years.

Fuzzy Dwarf? Hows he working out for you? Anything a new fuzzy dwarf owner should know? (Probing for info and possibly setting up a tank for one of these guys with some coral)

Give Frank Marini's excellent article on LIONFISH CARE a read if you haven't already done so...it's a good starting point. Also, you might want to check out his new book Lionfishes and Other Scorpionfishes...it's a great resource.

thanks i will be setting up the HOB fuge either tonight or tomorrow so ill clean the front glass and take another pic to show off a little.

Back