48 x 48 x 17 shallow reef

RG21

Thinking of doing something a little different.

I have a 65 tall that I was planning on doing an SPS dominated in. Only problem is, I have a lot of very high end equipment that I want to use, but in order to do so, would have to scrap the stand an canopy I have for it (Sump is way too big to fit under it (~75gal, literally the perfect sump), 2 x 250w MH that would not fit under the canopy, or at least would be too low, a skimmer thats too tall, dose pump and 2 part, chiller, the list goes on... it'd never fit.)

SO, I'm thinking I do a FOWLR with that tank, that way I can use the stand/canopy and go much lighter on equipment.

That brings me to the next idea I have. I've recently taken a bigger interest in shallow reefs. I think they are very unique and offer a lot of room for creativity with aquascape and livestock. The tank would be ~170gal, 48x48x17 dual overflowed to the 75gal sump below.

I'm thinking that the stand will definitely allow room for all my equipment considering the rather large footprint. I plan to build a canopy, but suspend it well above the tank to allow for rock exiting the water above and to keep temps cool. It'll be fully automated as will the 65.

Livestock wise, I am definitely thinking many small fish as opposed to larger species.

What do you think? What would you stock it with?

Back