48x48x17 shallow reef build?

RG21

Posted from another sub, didn't get any feedback so i thought I'd post here..

Thinking of doing something a little different.

I have a 65 tall that I was planning on doing an SPS dominated in. Only problem is, I have a lot of very high end equipment that I want to use, but in order to do so, would have to scrap the stand an canopy I have for it (Sump is way too big to fit under it (~75gal, literally the perfect sump), 2 x 250w MH that would not fit under the canopy, or at least would be too low, a skimmer thats too tall, dose pump and 2 part, chiller, the list goes on... it'd never fit.)

SO, I'm thinking I do a FOWLR with that tank, that way I can use the stand/canopy and go much lighter on equipment.

That brings me to the next idea I have. I've recently taken a bigger interest in shallow reefs. I think they are very unique and offer a lot of room for creativity with aquascape and livestock. The tank would be ~170gal, 48x48x17 dual overflowed to the 75gal sump below.

I'm thinking that the stand will definitely allow room for all my equipment considering the rather large footprint. I plan to build a canopy, but suspend it well above the tank to allow for rock exiting the water above and to keep temps cool. It'll be fully automated as will the 65.

Livestock wise, I am definitely thinking many small fish as opposed to larger species.

What do you think? What would you stock it with?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I myself have been thinking of doing a 60x36x18 shallow reef as well. They add more room for fish to swim imo. If you are doing a FOWLR, your options are endless. I think a large angel or tang would be a nice center piece. In terms of smaller fish. Dwarf angels, wrasses, flamehawk, butterfly, ect... you could do a puffer as well.

Just make sure that you have access on at least 3 sides of the tank. Many people who have Marineland DD tanks, which are 36" from front to back, have a hard time reaching the back of the tank because with the canopy on, they can only reach in from the front. With 48" from front to back, it'll be impossible to reach the back of the tank, unless you have access from the sides as well.

Just make sure that you have access on at least 3 sides of the tank. Many people who have Marineland DD tanks, which are 36" from front to back, have a hard time reaching the back of the tank because with the canopy on, they can only reach in from the front. With 48" from front to back, it'll be impossible to reach the back of the tank, unless you have access from the sides as well.

Yeah it'd definitely be on a large wall, with access to the 2 sides and the front so that wouldn't be an issue.

I myself have been thinking of doing a 60x36x18 shallow reef as well. They add more room for fish to swim imo. If you are doing a FOWLR, your options are endless. I think a large angel or tang would be a nice center piece. In terms of smaller fish. Dwarf angels, wrasses, flamehawk, butterfly, ect... you could do a puffer as well.

I definitely want to do a mixed reef with smaller community fish. How big can I go without a eurobrace? I haven't found many tanks with the dimensions I want. I want it to be square and shallow. Tough to find but I don't really know which vendors to look at.

I got a 48 x 30 x 14, made by Oceans By Design, recently.

It's 1/2 inch glass, didn't need a eurobrace, although your tank would be wider, and taller, so I couldn't say.

You can certainly email any custom builder, they should reply fairly quickly, and they'd tell you whether a eurobrace is required.

I got a 48 x 30 x 14, made by Oceans By Design, recently.

It's 1/2 inch glass, didn't need a eurobrace, although your tank would be wider, and taller, so I couldn't say.

You can certainly email any custom builder, they should reply fairly quickly, and they'd tell you whether a eurobrace is required.

If it were euro braced would it just be around the rim? I just don't want a tank that has the center brace from front to back. I don't think that'd look as cool. I wonder if that's an option

I don't think you'll need euro bracing on a 17" deep tank if you use 3/8" glass. I have a 4'x2'x14" shallow reef that is 65g and is 3/8" glass. BTW, shallow reefs are fun to work in. I use mine as a place to keep a lot of critters I collect from the beach or while snorkeling. It's kind of a big QT/holding tank/play pen!

Back