5 anthias- female changing to male!

igotsalt

I have 5 lyretail anthias. One male and 4 females. All are healthy and active. A couple days ago the most aggressive female started getting black on her head. I thought she was getting sick. In the last 3 days her colors have changed drastically. Her black head is really a deep dark maroon just like th original male. The original male is hiding since she attacks him immediately. I am curious if this is a regular occurance with the heriem? The male is hiding and is not allowed to eat. The new "morphing male" is dominating my entire tank----125g. If I leave the old guy in there I am sure she will kill him. Should I get the old make out and put him in another tank or take the NEWLY very AGGRESSIVE lyretail out!

Did she whip him into backing down and now will carry the heriem, or is he sick and she knows something I don't. She is just very territorial of entire tank!

thanks in advance!

I had the same thing happen adding 2 females and a male to an established female's tank. Things eventually cooled down and the aggresive established female turned to a male. I would just give it some time to establish the pecking order.

Sounds like the changeling is becoming the Alpha male. The 'secondary' male will hopefully quickly accept a sub role and continue to live in the harem. There is, of course, no changing back. Things should ease a little when the new Alpha has fully established its dominance...

Back