50 Gal Bow front build

Guitarman1963

Hey all I really enjoy Reef Central and appreciate the great info and reef banter. I am in the info gathering process of a 50 gal reef build and hope to start purchasing equipment in the next month. This will be my first saltwater tank but have been keeping freshwater tanks for several years and have done a bunch of reading. So here goes all build advice will be appreciated.

50 Gal Bow front tank I am going to drill the back for overflow and return (verified with manufacturer that bottom is tempered and back is not)

Overflow will be eshopps eclipse ghost overflow rated at 1000GPH. Will be bean animal set up with 3 ea 1 inch drain lines. Overflow will be located center tank.

Single 1 inch return line

2 ea tunze 6020 powerheads for tank circ (total 1200 GPH)

1ea koralia 425 gph for surface agitation

2ea 36 inch t5ho lights or LED equivalent.

Tank will have 2" of live sand and 40 lbs of live rock.

1 BTA, 1 Toadstool mushroom coral, 1 cauliflower coral, 1 fiji leather coral, 2 clown fish, 1 watchman diamond back goby, 1 skunk cleaner shrimp, 1 banded coral shrimp, 1 carpenter wrasse , 1 flame angel, snails and hermit crabs for clean-up crew. Will not stock all at once was going to start with coral and slowly add until complete.

Sump will be 29 gal glass aquarium 30 X 12 X 19 (that's the largest to fit in my stand. Sump will be 3 chambered with return in center. Return pump will be teed to provide flow to refuge. Bubble trap will be between skimmer chambers and return chamber. I plan on sizing chambers so sump will hold approx. 20 gals. Overflow placement in tank will allow approx. 7 gals of return in the event of power failure. Which should leave approx. 2 gal of headroom
Skimmer reef octopus 110 space saver
Eheim 1262 submersible return pump 900 GPH
Finnex 500w heater with separate digital control.
Refuge light will be home depot clamp fixture with 5000k bulb
:hammer:

I used to run a fifty---really great tank for corals, (stony) and for gobies, blennies, dartfish, basslets, all the little guys. They're homebodies anyway, and are happy to come out if there are no larger fish terrorizing them.

Back