50 lbs. of ECO-ROX (Bulk Reef Supply) arrived today! (Pictures)

EvMiBo

VictoriaConcordiaCrescit
Its (55g) finally starting to have substance! :eek2:

No water in there yet. I've been testing out a few different aquascapes. The one below is what it's at now, I may keep it like that, what do you think? I think after the cycle I'm going to try and get a few pieces of LR to make the left side (in the pictures) have a little more height.. We'll see.

Here's a few pictures for everyone. It was a good day, I picked the rock up in the office this morning, and then worked on and finished setting up my DIY ATO. :smokin:

DSCN0239.jpg

Girlfriend grabbed the camera

DSCN0244.jpg

50 lbs. worth, some nice pieces for sure IMO, there's my foot for an idea on the size of the rocks.

DSCN0246.jpg

The current aquscape :) What do you think?

Last edited:
Is the eggcrate going to be covered with sand? If your going BB wont this be a pain to keep clean?

I like the rocks! I talked to them in december and they had no idea when or if they were getting more in.
I would pin them together with acrylic rods though. I didnt do this on my current system but i am definitly doing it on the upgrade.

What model rocks are those? They look nice. I just ordered 20 lbs of Figi regular ole Eco Rox and should get them tomorrow. I'll post picks so you can compare. I'm going to have trouble stacking them in my little tank. I think I'll take UTC's advice and pin mine together.

There will be sand in the tank, I was just fooling around with different aquascapes. They got a new shipment of rock in about 2 weeks ago (just in time) so if you need some get it before they're out again. I've thought about acrylic rods and just decided to do some rearranging and save the rods for when I get a larger setup.

Cstoner- these are the same kind as you ordered. They're nice! They're also pretty easy to stack with one another. But if you need to use rods then go for it, good luck :). Btw post those pics.

those arent bad looking rocks. i personally like more rock work in my tanks, but to each his own. what kind of tank is this going to be? reef, fowlr?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14205443#post14205443 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Guygettnby
those arent bad looking rocks. i personally like more rock work in my tanks, but to each his own. what kind of tank is this going to be? reef, fowlr?

I too would like a few more rocks in there. I would like to add a few pieces of LR after the cycle is done, we'll see how it goes. I plan on this being a mixed reef. :)

Redid the Aquascape

Redid the Aquascape

I think I like this one better. :)

DSCN0247.jpg

EDIT: I moved the top right rock a little. :D
Picture.jpg

Last edited:
I have50lb the Fiji Eco Rox and I think they look great. I would caution about using the eggcrate on the bottom. Sand collecting in there can go anaerobic as it's basically static and does not get sifted.

English, I was going to ask about that. So that's not a good idea?
I take it PVC stands would be a better way to raise your rock off of the bottom?

English- I have never heard/thought of that, though I've seen several people use the egg-crate to spread out the weight from the sand, and mostly rock. In the case of a rock fall this also lessens chances of a crack, break, etc.

I'm not saying you're wrong I've just never heard of that. Does it make a difference if the sandbed will be no more than 3" deep? Does a problem occur if the sand in the little egg-crate becomes anaerobic?

Evan, It looks good!! I have eco rock in my tank too. I loike the florida gator shirt. My parents are in flodida right now and i told them to get me a white florida gators national champs t-shirt. Keep up the good work. BTW you might want to order some smaller 4-7 inch rock to fill in the gaps, just a though :)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14211679#post14211679 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gorey
Evan, It looks good!! I have eco rock in my tank too. I loike the florida gator shirt. My parents are in flodida right now and i told them to get me a white florida gators national champs t-shirt. Keep up the good work. BTW you might want to order some smaller 4-7 inch rock to fill in the gaps, just a though :)

thanks! its one from 2006, I still haven't gotten the 2008 one yet :).

thats a good idea on 4-7 inch rock to fill in a few gaps. I might get some a little down the road.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14209801#post14209801 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CStoner
English, I was going to ask about that. So that's not a good idea?
I take it PVC stands would be a better way to raise your rock off of the bottom?

The thinking is that you pay a good price for your rock so why bury it in the sad by placing it on the bottom of the tank. If you want to use cheap base rock and put that on the bottom and are concerned about glass breakage, you can put a sheet of Starboard down (it's HDPE - High Density PolyEthylene, basically cutting board material).
I am raising my rock off the bottom by gluing 3" long pieces of 1/2" acrylic rod to 1/4" (1/2" is better) acrylic sheet (I will have a 4" deep sand bed so only the bottom inch of the rock will be in the sand. I had thought about using football kicking chairs but cannot find any locally and not having played football I don't know what they are. I think they are made of plastic and have three legs on the bottom and two on the top but someone else who knows what they look like could maybe chime in and advise if they would work.
Egg crate (wherever it's located) may result in pockets of sand that may not get sifted by the sand bed creatures and go anaerobic.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14211099#post14211099 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by EvMiBo
English- I have never heard/thought of that, though I've seen several people use the egg-crate to spread out the weight from the sand, and mostly rock. In the case of a rock fall this also lessens chances of a crack, break, etc.

I'm not saying you're wrong I've just never heard of that. Does it make a difference if the sandbed will be no more than 3" deep? Does a problem occur if the sand in the little egg-crate becomes anaerobic?

If it goes anaerobic then it can release harmful gases into the tank. Read this article.
WaterKeeper Newbie Articles
Quote:
"Eventually you reach a length were the latter stages of the system are completely anaerobic. Then, with the large amounts of sulfates in salt water, it too is reduced to toxic hydrogen sulfide."

the worms seem to turn mine and I have eggcrate with 3 in. sand for over 4 months now btw rock looks nice good luck in your endevour

Back