500 + Calcium Level

JustinGr

Clown Pimp
My tank is up and running and has been doing well, I have been working to get my PH from 7.7 to 8.2 and my Alk from 5 to 7, and this was accomplished with the baked baking soda over a period of several weeks, however, my Calcium levels have stayed at the 500+ range all along.

I have Randy's 2-part ready, but if the Calcium is this high should I just do the Alk and Mag part?

Thanks

Justin

It is probably high from the salt mix. What mix are you use? Some are very high.

That said, you have two choices. You can use just the alk and mag parts while calcium declines, or you can just use the calcium part as well.

Always determine dosing based on the alk part anway.

Personally, I'd just use both parts equally since somewhat elevated calcium seems to not be a problem for anything we keep and it will be less work for you than to try to track the calcium decline. You might not need to bother to test calcium except only very rarely. :)

Thanks Randy!

I use IO salt mix, but I also live in the limestone capital of the world! I use RO/DI but I am not sure if it removes calcium. My shower nozzles and faucet nozzles need to be cleaned 2x a year of calcium buildup. I figured it was a natural byproduct of my water source.

BTW... Randy- I work at a hospital, and asked the pharmacy to order me medical grade Calcium Chloride and it is on the way, however I was at the grocery store last Thursday and they had 1 gallon containers of the Prestone Driveway Heat for $2.99 each. I purchased 8 of them at that price! I mixed two cups per gallon of water (1/5 less).

Should be enough for a long time, but if my calcium levels never drop, I may never need all of it.

nice thanks very much. can sleep tight now. Was gonna do water change but I doubt I'll add more calcium with water change

Randy, is it ok to use only the alk and mag parts? But the imprecision I got from reading your 2 part system article is if I did that Na. Cl and So4 irons not going to balanced out.

Is it not important to keep it to naturals ratios as nearly as possible?

Yes, it is OK to only use the alk part and magnesium parts of calcium is too high for some reason, and then once it declines, if it ever does, start the calcium again.

But using the calcium part should not cause the calcium to rise much. It should keep it about steady, which at 500-550 ppm is OK. :)

Back