55 < 90 gallon mix reef with stand build.

Lowefx

Well, i started my 55g almost 2 years ago. An since upgraded to a 90 gallon. My 55 was a great starter and i learned a lot from it. Now i built my own stand to accommodate the 90 gallon.
Check it out....
The 55gal
2ur6l3o.jpg

The 90gal
2dr80o1.jpg

I started by building the stand. The extra board was removed. I had it in there so my 55 would fit, before i knew i received the 90.
fx6scg.jpg

I skinned it with Birch wood (before staining), and received the tank.
2cddaok.jpg

Here is the top trim with crown moldings. raw and stained.
14y5092.jpg

lights on after moving water and rock from 55 to 90.
mvt2f4.jpg

Doors from http://www.rjaquatics.com/home.html BTW they are a great company with GREAT products. Thanks Steve T.
dbm5g4.jpg

All Done. Now time to start the canopy!
2dr80o1.jpg

Lowefx

Yes, its black live sand from Hawaii or something like that. I actually bought it from Pet Co. If you get some, be careful, it IS magnetic. So when your cleaning your glass, be sure it doesnt scratch.

Lowefx

Well a friend and i took some time to aquascape. I wasnt going for the minimalistic look, but it kinda turned out that way. I need a few more pieces for the right side, maybe tonga branches, but overall i like this more, and the fish have more room to swim.
23tqgwz.jpg

2llikb7.jpg

Let me know what you think!

Lowefx

Its like JENGA, just make sure the rocks dont come crushing down on the most expensive coral that is a slow grower. hahaha, i hate when that happens.

Lowefx

A friend came over and took some shot for me. Turned out amazing!
Red Planet
142r4o4.jpg

Clam
4lk6io.jpg

Pluto Favia
30j32b8.jpg

Brain Platygyra
2qcfst1.jpg

Frogspawn
azjvva.jpg

Green Slimer
mli2a8.jpg

FishAddict87

Looks great! I just did the same switch you did 55 to a 90 yesterday. I still have lots of work to do such as aquascaping and placing corals. I like how your black sand makes the colors pop I was debating on using it but I didn't...regret it now lol

Lowefx

The only downside to the black live sand is that the white specs of gravel stick out like a sore thumb and its magnetic. I've accidentally scratched my old 55 when it was stuck in the algae scrubber