55 Gallon Canopy?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12258677#post12258677 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mako Shark II
Hollywood / Tim -

Perfect! I'm building a 120g RR set-up too, but the cabinet & canopy are out of the budget because of co$t. I really wanted red oak, then looked around the room, with my 9' ceiling and gloss white painted crown moldings... So I thought: Why fight it?

Your White 120 has inspired me. Thanks! Rather than spend the money, I'll build it. Besides, the (nice!) Prefecto Prestige set-up (LESS TANK!) was still $1,167 (Hello!)

Thanks.

FYI - I did not build the stand, it is a pine AGA and is actually pretty sturdy. You'd have your time and probably about the same money in materials if you decided to build it yourself, I'm pretty sure that stand is under $200, and its a good starting point. The down side to the stand is that its a little short for my preference and there's not much space for equipment. Obviously I built the canopy to match the stand.
For paint I used a CAP Spray HVLP system and Sherwin Williams laquer to match some of our furniture and trim in the room where the tank sits. The only prep I did was to sand the finish on the stand and sanded the entire raw pine canopy then painted them per th local SW's recommendations. I tacked everything before painting to make sure it was dust free and sanded and tacked between the two coats. The laquer requires a little experience and really needs to be done in a paint booth, a respirator is REQUIRED since it will kill you! You

This is the thread on my build;
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1163749

It has most of the same pics but shows what I started with and has shots of my "workshop":D

Tim:cool:

Here you go:
One I build few years ago
PICT0010.jpg

PICT0024.jpg

PICT0028.jpg

PICT0034.jpg

Could you send me a copy of your plans? That looks really good!

Back