55gal FO Tank Help

ironmics

So I've been running nano reefs with good results for a little more than a year. I'm graduating from college soon and would like to start a 55 FOWLR tank shortly thereafter. So far I'm dead set on a valentini puffer, and would like the other tank mates to be smaller predator types too. I'm really liking the look of hamlets, but it is pretty hard to find info on them. I would also like a falco hawkfish and a harlequin basslet or tobacco(WWM says harlequins get bigger, liveaquaria says tobaccos do).

Does this sound like a good stock list? Too much bioload? My concerns are whether or not the basslet and hamlet would be too big for this tank. It's hard to find info on the max size of hamlets. However, down the road I will be upgrading to at least a 125 and using the 55 as a reef, so as long as the basslet and hamlet don't grow outrageously fast I think it would be ok.

Also would all of these fish get along? and what stocking order would you guys suggest?

Again, all of this is about 9 months to a year in the making, I just really want to research everything in the meantime.

I don't know much about hamlets either, here is an article, if you haven't seen it yet:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/hypoplec.htm

I think you will be okay with the hawkfish, basslet and sharpnose puffer. one more predator may be a bit much for a 55. be sure you have plenty of live rock, a decent skimmer and if possible, a refugium.

good luck!

I have a valentini puffer in my 50g tank and he is doing well with a pair of false percs, kleini butterfly, and coral beauty. the puffer usually sticks to himself and slowly swims around while the other fish play and swim all around the tank.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14776066#post14776066 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LisaD
I don't know much about hamlets either, here is an article, if you haven't seen it yet:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/hypoplec.htm

I think you will be okay with the hawkfish, basslet and sharpnose puffer. one more predator may be a bit much for a 55. be sure you have plenty of live rock, a decent skimmer and if possible, a refugium.

good luck!
I'm going to get the best skimmer I can for the size and the biggest sump/fuge I can fit. I want to load it with a lot of macro to culture amphipods/copepods for the fish. Also I'll be going with a good size sandbed and a lot of rock.

I've actually read that article a few times lol. It seems to be the only info on hamlets out there. I'm thinking about going with the hamlet over the bass if limited to 3 fish, or moving up to a bigger tank to fit the fourth in.

What are some clean up inverts that could survive in this tank? I was thinking zebra turbos and conchs. I would think these would be big enough/think enough shell to hold their own.

Back