6 year old tank needs LOTS of tlc..how would you approach?

I would do some big water changes weekly then start carbon dosing and get the equipments cleaned. Then just keep up with the maintenance and nature will work it's magic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Traded in all of those anemones this weekend and rearranged some rock which caused a po4 spike..
It was 1.14 before dosing and now it's back down to .21 after dosing lanthanum chloride.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

What it looks like now
a698802ab3982cbe16dae2fe9a38b6d7.jpg
75b176b53c5bc3d395fb03486b62d1d3.jpg

For a "neglected" tank it looks pretty good. Regardless of the nuisance algae or other issues it's pretty cool to see a years-old tank and how the various life forms have staked out their own territory and grown. I love the plentiful anemones and the few corals that really took off.

I appreciate the kind words! It helps boost my confidence to keep going.
Today I ordered a RODI filter ans resin kit since I'm getting a TDS reading of 1 along with some carbon to begin clearing the water...
Also!!!
I ordered a frag pack off of another member. Time to rebuild!

Here's a couple shots of the carnage from my neglect...
What a sick feeling I got while clearing this out...I had some nice colonies going..
d322c56197f6c8129c46c569c29046e2.jpg
6b2b5ebe066973672b13074468b9ce3f.jpg

Natural reefs in the ocean are constantly in a state of flux and there's often dead corals, algae, and/or things us reef keepers consider "bad." It's really nice to clean an old tank up and get it looking perfect but sometimes if I have a dead coral skeleton I will leave it in the tank as a reminder of how dynamic and sometimes imperfect the real reefs are.

Natural reefs in the ocean are constantly in a state of flux and there's often dead corals, algae, and/or things us reef keepers consider "bad." It's really nice to clean an old tank up and get it looking perfect but sometimes if I have a dead coral skeleton I will leave it in the tank as a reminder of how dynamic and sometimes imperfect the real reefs are.
My whole tank had dead coral for almost a year [emoji38] [emoji38] ...
That was reminder enough to get it back into shape...lol

Still dosing.
I found that my RODI water was at 001 so I replaced the resin and 2 filters today and got it back to 0.
Today I may have dosed a little too much lanthanum chloride as my yellow tang was breathing quite heavily. I'm going to go a lot slower using my iv bag ( dripping into a 10 micron sock) next time.

I may have missed this in the thread, but I'm assuming you're monitoring phosphate while you're dosing LC? You can cause all kinds of other problems if you drop it too low, or too fast.

Back