60 gallon cube: wood or steel stand?

Leanan

I'm planning a 60 gallon cube build, and I understand that space under the stand is at a premium for that size. Due to the place the tank is going, making the stand larger isn't really an option, so I'm curious - would framing the stand with steel instead of wood increase the real estate inside the stand significantly?

(A little extra info, if it helps - if I go with wood, I'll build the stand myself from RocketEngineer's design. If I go with steel, I'd like to design it but get it built somewhere locally since I don't have welding skills or equipment.)

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

That's a great point, thanks for the input! I mentioned the RE design because, like a steel stand, its framed and then skinned. I'd prefer a stand that is built that way because I want to have three sides that are removable (for access as well as ease of changing out the look). Do you think that would be possible with wood, without going the 2x4 route?

if you take a look at my 55 gallon build you'll see that i built it with just plywood. it is as strong as a tank for this size build. have had the set up for a few years with no problems at all. i do alot of wood working so my skills on joints and wood sealing are better than your average diy builder IMHO. there are alot of ply wood builds that hold alot more than 60 gallons. last word i can give you is ask for help, ask for input and dont skimp on materials. no use in saving 30 dollars on wood if your thousand dollar setup will crash to the floor. just in saltwater, 60 gallons is over 500lbs add in lights canopy, tank and the like and you could easily go over 600 to 700 pounds.

I'd use 1x4s and pocket screws to maximize internal space.

I'm not 100% finished becuase in a year or two this tank will go in the basement and the stand has to come apart. Everything is glued and pocket screwed except for the legs.
15711541173_5d1c4c002b_b.jpg

Awesome guys, thanks for the input. My only concern with 1x4s and pocket screws is with racking - as I understand it, racking forces are negated when you skin the stand with plywood. However, since I want the stand to be open with removable doors on three sides, will plywood that has large cutouts still have the same strength? I'm also planning on leaving the back open for airflow (Texas gets a bit warm in the summer). :)

Any stand can get go out of plane. That has more to do with shimming. The ply helps the side to side motion. That won't happen with a properly build pocket screw stand.

The ply left with a big opening is fine.

This stand held me and a buddy, maybe 450lbs and we couldn't get the thing to wiggle at all. I built it on flat concrete and when I shimmed the front right corner it it lifted the front left corner off the ground. This was my first real experience with pocket screws... They're awesome!

Back