6105 pulsing/chattering

delphinus

Hi,

I have a problem with a 6105. When it's in the water the propeller seems unable to turn continuously. It's like it does a rapid fire on/off/on/off pulse. It's very regular in it's timing.

It does not do this out of the water. The controller has it running at 100%, 60% and 10% and it spins at these speeds correctly out of water but as soon as it's in water it goes back to the chattering pulse.

The propeller and magnet and shaft all appear clean.

How do I diagnose what needs to be repaired or replaced here? Could it be the propeller and magnet or is it the driver? Is this a common problem?

Switched the propeller with another 6105, same problem, so, not the propeller.

Took a closer look and ...

IMG_2631.jpg

.. I'm guessing that can't be good. :( No idea how it happened but I guess I need me a new motor block..

Yes, likely there is some short occurring, I am also puzzled as the top side of the cord wouldn't have the cover against it and that much should be covered so fish and urchins couldn't get to it. Usually lower on the cable I suspect someone was overzealous unpacking it and I have seen cats chew through lower portions of cords as well. But I don't have an answer for that. If you bought it from a Canadian dealer I would check with Phil.

Unfortunately this was purchased second-hand so I'm guessing I have little recourse short of trying to dry it out by sticking it in a bucket of rice like people do for cell phones dropped in water, epoxy or silicone over the nick and then and seeing what happens. The only thing I can think of is that maybe somebody used something sharp to scrape coraline off during cleaning it and this is what happened. However it having taken 5 months of use for enough water to seep in before it became a problem probably means it cannot be quickly dried out. I assume the inside of the motor block is encased in epoxy?

Yes, it is encased in polyurethane, it is tough to dry them out and not have the residual corrosion cause problems.

Well .. just as a footnote to this. It wasn't the motor block at all in the end. I put a gob of silicone over the nick, tried again, didn't fix it, so went and bought a new motor block. This finally arrived this last week. Put it on last night and .... right off the bat, it chattered like crazy! Oh man. So yeah, swapped out the power supply from another Tunze and that one started chattering. So it was the power supply all along.

Oh well, guess I now have a spare motor block. :lol: I suppose I can maybe now buy a new cover, new impeller and new power supply and piecemeal myself into a new 6105. :lol:

Back