64Ivy's Reeftank. The Crash, The Rebuild, The Saga.

Nice tank man. I think the more open rock work the second time around will pay off in the long run. It looks great all grown in like that. Its nice to see someone have good results filling a tank in just a couple of years. They look so much better when the corals get a chance to grow into their places naturally. Hope to follow the new tank for another ten years at least. Keep up the good work.

Ivy I loved the old tank I felt horrible when I read it crashed but this one is just as amazing congrats

Oh sure, NOW you want an update.

Update: Not so good. Copper infusion has nuked 95% of my SPS. Still cannot find the source. Once I do, I will rebuild again for the third time. This time however I'm doing a mixed reef with many more 'LPS' and hopefully a little less maintenance. Otherwise, the fish are doing well. About a month before the 'crash', I acquired a few Genicanthus semifasciatus (1 male 4 females) which I'd been wanting for years. Kind of takes the edge off, a little.

Last edited:
Sorry, that is a bummer. Your tank has always been an inspiration. You don't by any chance use Kent carbon?

Oh sure, NOW you want an update.

Update: Not so good. Copper infusion has nuked 95% of my SPS.

Noooo!! I am so sorry to hear that. Your tank was incredible, and your ability to keep going after the last crash has motivated me when I have failures and think of quitting. I found your thread right when I started the hobby. I will look forward to the next rebirth. Good luck!

Wow, thats a bummer... I coudn't imagine loosing massive colonies like you had. Good luck with the new build...hope you post some pics when you start it.

------

No. But it's quite possible that it's coming from THESE:

Rusty-Screws-1.jpg

Rusty-Screws-2.jpg

I stumbled across the remains of these two screws yesterday while moving my Kalk doser off the lip of my sump. As I now recall, they were there to hold a lighting fixture in case I ever wanted to use part of the sump as a refugium. I never did, eventually placed the doser over them and forgot about them. This was maybe 5-6 years ago, before the previous crash.

I'm not about to say just yet that these screws are the only cause, but it is highly probable that through condensation, splashing, salt creep and the like, that they've been slowly dripping all kinds of heavy metals into the sump for a very long time now. I am still persuing other possible contributing factors but everything else (other equipment, incoming water, etc.) is all coming up clean.

By the way, you will note that the nut of one of the screws is missing. I noticed it too. It either was never there or has rusted away completely because I'm positive it hasn't fallen into the sump.

So now, my question to you guys is, do you think that given how long this condition has occurred, it is possible for something this small to be the EXCLUSIVE cause of bringing down a 650g system or should I continue looking for their accomplice? I'd really love to finally put this crap behind me. Thanks.

That does not look good....
It might be a good part of the cause.

Have you also looked at the heaters in your system? Is there any sign of visible rust coming from the end of the heater where the power cord is connected?

No heaters. The circulation pumps (Hammerheads) provide more than enough heat for the system. I DO have a chiller though and when I recently had it tested, the service guy found no rust, leaks, or any other problems. Unfortunately, when it comes to chillers, that is all I have to rely on since I know very little about them.

Update: Not so good. Copper infusion has nuked 95% of my SPS.
whatchu talkin bout willis :eek2:

OMG, as someone who had the pleasure of seeing this tank in person, I can't tell you how sorry I am, that this has happened to you!
Hopefully, you are able to figure out the problem soon, so that 'third times a charm' can get you ToTM again!

Hey Michael, Im really sorry to hear about this most recent turn of events. I'm sure when you find the cause you be back strong. I always have good sized corals to donate to your reef start up party! :)

oh man, that is brutal. Sorry bud, I just suffered a loss of all my fish couple days ago, lost the whole tank back in july aswell. I feel your pain, although your pain is prolly quadruple mine... sucks a big one

Man, I'm so sorry this happened. On a thought though, I really don't think what you had there would have caused a copper problem. Especially in a system as large as yours. You should be able to get a better guess by Pm-ing Randy. One of my older systems had a medium sized bolt in the fuge and it didn't crash my tank. Though it looked pretty nasty when I found it.

Back