6500k MH Horticulture Bulb

Steveb

Premium Member
So trying to save a little money here... Looking at 6500k 250 Watt Metal Halides - Most of the Iwasaki's are running in the $80 range.

I stumbled upon these and wanted to get opinions or better yet feedback if you have actually used this bulb 250 watt 6500K Metal Halide GROW Hydroponics Bulb for $20 from Light Exports 6500k Horticulture Bulb

Any reason not to use it?

Well I just found this one Light Exports 6500K Reef Bulb

They have different part #'s but I'm not seeing the difference... maybe its to late at night..

Last edited:
Well I ordered the 6500k reef bulb today - would still be curious to know what the difference is....

The horticulture bulbs work fine. Not usually considered the best color for coral, but macro algae loves it.

Jeff

Text mangled by iPhone spell check...

Looking for growth from the 6500k's at first and then will move them to another tank sharing same sump that has radiums to color them up.

Let us know how it works for you.

I will but don't hold your breath.. :rolleyes: I still have to build/get tanks/troughs. I'm just collecting all of the rest of the hardware right now. Have reflectors, bulbs on order, light movers, skimmers, pumps, calcium reactor and a Kalk reactor. Really just need air conditioner, tanks, ballasts and plumbing and either an 8 day week or a 36 hour day to get it all done....dang pesky day job :D

6500K MH Bulb

6500K MH Bulb

Good luck Steve

I may try some of those myself,

I am moving in 3 weeks so necking down drastically, its going to be a long week in the move. I am adding two vats, both 8' L, and 18" deep, the existing one is 30" wide but the new one will be 36" wide if I can situate it right. Ifnot then another 30".

So I can use these. Look into the ply vats, far cheaper then anything that I could find to buy readymade, I epoxied them but use black plastic pool liners, so far foolproof which is exactly what is ordered for me.

I owe that idea to Tropicorium, theirs have been in use for decades, but wider, longer and deeper.

Which reflectors are you using?

Yeah I have not been successful in finding many ready made options - aquatic eco has some I like but I don't want to pay the price - but leaks scare me to....for reflectors I have 4 lumen bright all mogul and 4 lumen max elite (2 mogul, 2 de) - pretty much all of my stuff is used (with the exception of ballasts, tanks, light movers).

Speaking of used equipment they are having an auction in Morrisville, VT May 10th (http://www.thcauction.com/05102011BluePlanet.html). Wish I could make it - but to much going on with the kids during May. I may bid online but its a hassle to get it shipped.

If its an HPS bulb then it will be geared toward the red end of the spectrum and you will not get as good of growth as when using the correct halide bulbs. They are completely different bulbs using different technology.

When I spoke with the vendor they indicated the 6500k horticulture and the 6500k reef bulbs where the same (even thought they had different part #'s. I ended up getting the reef bulbs anyway just in case). We have been focused on an addition to the house so no t a lot has gone on. But I did finish cleaning out my junk, I purchased epoxy paint for the walls (still need to apply it), have purchased 6 - 40 gallon breeders and just got the A/C unit Friday. I still need to go to Lowes and get a ventilation and fan and a humidistat. I hope to cut the exterior wall and install the A/C this week.

The bulbs will work fine. Photosynthetic organisms, like algae, coral, and nems will grow best at 6500k. You should see good growth but dont expect to keep or get color. Everything will probably brown out, like sps corals in the wild, but you can get the extreme color back with some heavy actinics or a 20k radium. If you are planning on selling or swapping a heavily blue tank or section of the tank will develop the colors everyone wants

the 6500k will also make your tank water look like pee

Yeah I'm expecting that. The plan is to have the corals under 6500k for growth for some period of time followed by a move to radium based lighting to color up. Both systems will share the same water/sump so I only have to deal with the change in lighting as a variable.

Back