7 month old tank - Completely stumped

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14441360#post14441360 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BumbleBeeJBG
So what if I keep the Koralia Nano where it is, behind the rocks to make sure there's circulation back there and add a Koralia 1, right above it sort've mid level pointing out towards the clam?

Clams don't usually like direct flow and I'd even move it from it's current location away from the return. Also, with what you have and the size tank I don't see much of a problem with your flow and far as inhabitants, though the low flow could be allowing detritus to settle on the rocks.

I think you're dealing with dinflagellates and not some typical algae.

This article should help...

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-11/rhf/index.php

are you using chemi-pure or chemi-pure elite? Only chemi-pure elite is designed to lower phosphates (through ferric oxide media). i would suggest getting some chemi-pure elite or setting up a phosphate reactor with some ferric oxide media, like phosban.

This will help you get the phosphates down. Then, review your system for sources of the phosphate increase like your water and feeding habits. Try to maximize your refugium as a location for nutrient export.

I'm using just regular Chemi-pure. If I use Chemi-pure elite and add the Chaeto, is this going to be enough to make a difference?

ps. don't forget to think of your clam too.

See how far the mantel is stretched upward; a sign of needing more light. They should not look like that.

Oh believe me, the state of my clam is a source of depression, so I'd love to talk about him. I can't see how he'd be needing more light seeing as he's in a 24g that has a 150w MH Sunpod!

Guess I'll take the clam issues to the appropriate forum, thanks for the advice all, and I'm still checking this thread if anyone has anything to add.

You can't have a foxface in a 24 gallon tank. You said you felt bad feeding the fish every other day and you have a foxface in that tank..that should make you feel bad, not the feeding.

The algae will go away if your patient, maybe you started things up too quickly.

I'm getting rid of the Foxface, I got bad advice from the LFS. Only reason why he's not gone tonight is cause I didn't want to stir the tank up trying to get him quickly to get to there before they closed.

In regards to the camel...."It usually tolerates other shrimp, but may nip at colonial anemones, disc anemones, and soft leather corals. It generally leaves bubble coral and stinging anemones alone. " - Live aquaria...

+1 for more flow. I really think that is part of the secret. Along with either very regular water changes or a good skimmer, I think you'll be back in business.

Reduce your water changes. Try biweekly 5-10%. Also, what are you using to measure your salinity? I was using a glass hydrometer that turned out to not be accurate and my salinity was 1.030!

Back