700 gallon Ray pond build

Looks amazing!!
I personally would add more sand, a few large pieces of rock, and look into a pair of brown banded cat sharks. :)

Beautiful man, was in the process of building my own 350 gallon very shallow ray tank but Military caused change of plans. Good to see good ray tanks !

Looks amazing!!
I personally would add more sand, a few large pieces of rock, and look into a pair of brown banded cat sharks. :)

I could use a little more sand but they seem to all huddle close to each other where there is no sand. I have around 300lbs covering 2/3 of the pond and no rocks at all on my pvc liner and I don't care for sharks other than the swimmers and I dont see them going in here.

2 new ones tonight; ribbontail blue spot.
DSCN0005.jpg
DSCN0007.jpg

Nice post lots of updates on those Ribbontails. Interested in seeing your care for your rays. Care to post your feeding scheds, tank temp and flow control ? Also some updated gear specs :p

Man, that is really cool what you have going on there, Dean! Great pictures of the Grandson. That is a lot of work to get to where you are now, congrats.

Nice post lots of updates on those Ribbontails. Interested in seeing your care for your rays. Care to post your feeding scheds, tank temp and flow control ? Also some updated gear specs :p

I have been feeding every other day with the California Rounds and they have fattened up consideribly. I make my own food so they get a good rounded diet all at once. The feeding schedule might have to change with the Blues since they were feed twice daily with the previous owner but I will ahve to see how it goes with them since they havent been at meal time in my pool yet, tonight is my feeding time and they will have to learn to eat whats set on the table. :D The temp I try to keep around 72 but with all this heat here even my basement has warmed up to 78 and thats the water temp now. As far as flow control I'm not sure what you mean by that but I can tell you I have one inlet which is 2' going back into the tank off of a Dolphin 4200 GPH pump. I have just a 75 gallon sump with the 2- 2" drains dumping into it and have some live rock covering all of the bottom. I run a custom/ lifereef 5 1/2' tall skimmer that I bought off of Craigslist and added some Lifereef parts and put a 1" Mazzei injector/nozzle on it with a Panworld 200 and it out skims all the rays in a couple of days. Actually these Rays seem much more simple to take care of that my fish only tanks that I have allthough I have had some die that were shipped in and one from a LFS that was bad shape allready. Alot of it has to do with the size of the pool not changing water pars. much I think.

Man, that is really cool what you have going on there, Dean! Great pictures of the Grandson. That is a lot of work to get to where you are now, congrats.

Its been fun barbianj, yea Clayton has been begging to get in so I finally let him. A little work at a time when it come to stuff like this. Going to do a 300 gallon stock tank sump in the next week or two for alittle more media area that I think I will need after adding these and a few more rays. Oh yea I forgot to mention my water changes are 50 gallons a week and thats not allways and I have been making my own salt mix for maybe six months now and that saves some money, I believe it cost me 16.00 for 200 gallons worth.:fun2:

wouldnt the evaporation turn the pool to the negative side quickly?
why would it make a difference with homemade more that boughten? The rays havent complained yet. You would be surprized how many people make their own saltwater. I know one person that has a 15,000 gallon shark lagoon and mixes his own salt, he said he could not afford to buy premixed.;)

Would you mind doing a writeup or pointing me to the right site with info on how to make your own salt mix? I'd like to read into it.

awesome tank! I saw on the travel channel of some kid who bred sting rays. He used a hose to simulate rainfall to start the mating process but i forget exactly how it went. I believe he had a large tank full of males and introduced a female till they paired up. Anyway, good luck!

Back