72g bow lots of pics and diary

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10466831#post10466831 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by billsreef
It's not the surface area of the "bowl" that makes that design work in your toilet, but rather the large diameter siphon break in your houses drain plumbing that extends up to the roof ;)

well yah, to STOP the siphon.. :p

but what im saying is at what point does the air+water pressure on the surface of the water in the bowl cause it to flow uphill into the trap and on down..

like in this guy's tank, if you started filling it up, how far up in the tank would the water level get before it had enough air pressure on the surface to force water up thru the u-tube and down into the sump... would it be the level of the bottom of the U or before?

tho its a great idea to essentially make a "stink pipe" on the outward side of the U to make sure the siphon breaks.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10467129#post10467129 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Jeremy Blaze
Of course, I still think it would be a lot easier/better, to use the top bulkheads a s drains!

sure it would be easy, but since when is easy fun? :p

i dont know if "monti" is still on here but if so i just want to chime in after reading this whole thread and say that wow you are slandering people you know nothing about and have never even seen their work i have two tanks that jeremy blaze did the plumbing on one of wich has the return in the bottom of ,in my business, wich is a very sterile environment that i could not have sea water everywhere. and it is a perfect running system, and if the power goes out the display only drops an inch and a half, the other is an almost 11 ft tank that has been plumbed twice now due to moving. and they both run better than most tanks i have encountered. since you are just in indy we are in new albany just outside of louisville on the indiana side if you would like to see what correct plumbing looks like runs like and sounds like feel free to pm me and we will set up a time for you to see real reef tanks. i dont like to be rude on here but im not gonna sit back and let some one slander and attack one of my closest personal friends and a true professional. you need to look at my thread and see the proper way to deal with critism.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10467090#post10467090 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by XSiVE
well yah, to STOP the siphon.. :p

but what im saying is at what point does the air+water pressure on the surface of the water in the bowl cause it to flow uphill into the trap and on down..

like in this guy's tank, if you started filling it up, how far up in the tank would the water level get before it had enough air pressure on the surface to force water up thru the u-tube and down into the sump... would it be the level of the bottom of the U or before?

tho its a great idea to essentially make a "stink pipe" on the outward side of the U to make sure the siphon breaks.

Theres no real pressure involved, the tank water will be at the same level as the water in the S pipe while filling. Once the tank water gets above the top of the S pipe is when the fun starts.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10467299#post10467299 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RichConley
Theres no real pressure involved, the tank water will be at the same level as the water in the S pipe while filling. Once the tank water gets above the top of the S pipe is when the fun starts.

hmm.. I must have something cross-wired upstairs.. I think I will go home and start some experiments to un-cross them.. muahahahahha

;)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10467090#post10467090 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by XSiVE

Rich is right. It's when the water level in the tank/bowl rises over the top of the U pipe that it starts flowing. As to how high above, it will depend on the pipe sizing. It will start some flow as soon it rises over the bottom of the horizantal pipe in that U, but won't really take off till it's gone high enough over to force the air out from the siphon break. It's a matter of gravity and water weight in this case more so than air pressure which will be the same above and below the siphon making the air pressure effect essentially zero.

Back