75 Gal Powerhead placement….

Thebutcher

So with being out of the Saltwater game for a few years, I am noticing that something’s are the same and some are different. At the moment I am planning gear placement in the display tank. I have two NEW (but) OLD STOCK MP40’s that have from my previous build that I never got to use and my return pump is a Current Eflux 6010. My rock placement is a Tall center structure of rocks in the middle and two slightly smaller mounds on either side connected by a small rock bridge and cave set up. (Photos up this weekend once i get it all set and filled.)

I plan to have the return pipes enter the tank on each back corner and angle the returns so the flow from these meet in the front center area of the tank but am not sure where to place the two MP40’s. In the past I had a Single MP40 about 6” down from the top of the tank on the left wall blowing across the tank/rock work. This combined with the two corner flow inputs provided nice flow though the tank with only a single dead spot under the right return line in the back of the tank. It provided lots of turbulence in the tank and the fish and corals loved it. The only thing i hated was the large dry side of the MP40 on the side of the tank.

While seeking out ideas for MP40 placement online, I came across a tank that had the same return placement I am planning but had the powerheads placed in the center of each half of the tank…. (The tank is 48” across and each Powerhead was placed at the 12” mark and the other at the 36” mark) and about 6”- 7” down from the top of the tank. The overflows were placed on either side of the center brace. The look of the tank appealed to me as the dry sides of the MP40’s I will be using will be in the back of the tank and not visible.

Without being able to see the tank and flow in person or on video I was wondering what you guys/gals thought about that set up for flow. Or should i stop over thinking it and just place one MP40 on either side and run master slave And call it a day.

LMK :p

I would probably run one on each side. I’m just thinking ease of maintenance and also flow. Most tanks aren’t that deep front to back and I would think the flow of an MP40 would be too powerful if you have a sand bed

Back