75 gal setup please help

Afaylenerich88

Hello I am setting up a new 75 gal system, if anyone is getting out of the Hobbie or has extra gear laying around that I might have a use for now or future use please let me know

Extra Rodi parts, pumps, exct..... my current tank is great aside from constant swings in salin as I do not have or can afford an Rodi. Was using water from Walmart but had a huge byopsis outbreak. Lessons learned.
Now I get from local shop it cost as much as 1.50$ per gallon were I am in Rhode Island.

My current tank is slowly falling into disparate need of swap so my perms don't swing as much and my coral can acutely recover from stress and grow and now just recover then right back to stress.
I don't have a lot of money so not looking to pay much as my current tank takes up most of my income.
I unfortunately didn't qualify for stimulus check from government so have been set back due to lack of work with covid 19.

I just hope that someone here will hear my plea and help a fellow reefer In need.
My corAL are as important as my dogs and I couldn't bare to loose one. Please help out if you can! my coral reef family really néed the community's help!

75 gal setup please help

Hello I am setting up a new 75 gal system, if anyone is getting out of the Hobbie or has extra gear laying around that I might have a use for now or future use please let me know

Extra Rodi parts, pumps, exct..... my current tank is great aside from constant swings in salin as I do not have or can afford an Rodi. Was using water from Walmart but had a huge byopsis outbreak. Lessons learned.
Now I get from local shop it cost as much as 1.50$ per gallon were I am in Rhode Island.

My current tank is slowly falling into disparate need of swap so my perms don't swing as much and my coral can acutely recover from stress and grow and now just recover then right back to stress.
I don't have a lot of money so not looking to pay much as my current tank takes up most of my income.
I unfortunately didn't qualify for stimulus check from government so have been set back due to lack of work with covid 19.

I just hope that someone here will hear my plea and help a fellow reefer In need.
My corAL are as important as my dogs and I couldn't bare to loose one. Please help out if you can! my coral reef family really néed the community's help!

I'm also from Rhode Island. If it's feasible, go to ocean state aquatics in Coventry at 8 sandy bottom road. They sell RODI water for $.50/gallon and premixed salt water for $1/gallon. I'd say even if you're from the Pawtucket area it's worth it - they're very reputable and have good prices.

I honestly would recommend the Aquatic Life RO Buddy (Aquatic Life RO Buddie Reverse Osmosis Systems https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00204CQF6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_KXQXEbYV53E9C)

It's only $50 and it's been producing 0 TDS for me. Another more expensive option is distilled water from Walmart. If that's the water you bought the water isn't causing bryopsis, something else is.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I went through something similar in the last economic downturn. I realized that keeping a reef tank was no longer viable for me. I came to the conclusion that I needed to drastically simplify. I traded all my fish and corals to my LFS for store credit. Then I converted my 180 into a fresh water planted tank, which was much more affordable. For example, fist-size coral: $100, fist-size plant: $5. Tap water is fine, no salt to buy, much cheaper fish - the list goes on.

Consider something similar. Times are tough for most of us these days, and the economy looks pretty iffy, so it may hard to get help. Good luck to you.

used to go to ocean state aquatics, but no longer as they are way to far from me I have found closer sorce. Negative on the RO buddy. My water read's from tap at 140tds . Had to buy handheld because I doubted Walmart water. And still reads 45tds for Walmart Rodi water. They also claim to uv it but I doubt it. I think it's just a marketing thing.

The tank like I said is good now. No more bryopsis after stopping Walmart water refills. I am useig an ato I made off of 10gal tank and float switch tied to a small sunsun pump.
Tank itself is 30gal. But I'm not looking for anything for this tank.
Just the 75.
Like if you have a skimmer I could use that would work. Old refugium light, spare tubing. I'm willing to pay just not top dollar for used equipment.

THIS HOBBIE ISN'T FOR THE RICH. PPL JUST MAKE PYRAMIDS AND PUT THEM SELF ON TOP SO IT DRIVES PRICES. if you find the right PPL you will get help you need without even spending a dime. Just depends on the person.

You could take you obvious approach and say oh well just give it up.
duck off with that, this Hobbie isn't about trying to push ppl out its about sharing our failures and success.

I'm simply looking for anything I can use even if you have a price I will consider it.
Anything to HELP me reach my eventual goal.

Back