75 Gallon "Lions Den"

jordan_ward

I originally saw a blue fin lionfish and thought they were awesome, so I did the research. I found out they are a coldwater species, they are susceptible to bacterial diseases and they are extremely rare.:headwally:

So I thought of starting a lionfish tank with the more common ones
Stocklist
1x Radiata Lionfish
1x Mombasa Lionfish
3x Fuzzy Dwarf Lionfish

Questions:
I've heard Radiata's are difficult to wean to frozen food. Is that true?
I don't know much about mombasa lionfish. How difficult is weaning and general care?
How do I go about making sure I get 1 male and 2 female fuzzy dwarf lionfish?
Thanks in advance
Jordan Ward

Start with an easier lion to take care of like a Fuzzy Dwarf or an Antennata and then see how it goes...just my honest opinion.

I can't honestly say that P. radiata is any harder to care for than P. antennata. The main difference is finding a specimen that's in good shape after being "in the chain of custody". Actually, the radiata in our multi-lion setup is easier to feed than the others simply because is isn't so frantic and in our faces the way our fuzzy pair and sphex are.

P. mombassae is pretty easy to care for. They have a reputation for getting infections in their large eyes, generally due to declining water quality, but once established, we haven't seen any such tendencies (our water isn't horrible, but it's not pristine either). Our specimen is a beast in terms of eating, and is a huge beggar (in typical lionfish fashion).

There are some "handles" for sexing fuzzies (pectoral banding, head size, pectoral fin sweep), but it's easiest with young adult or adult specimens. We're finding that you can't always rely on pectoral banding alone, esp. on juvie/sub-adult fish.

I can't honestly say that P. radiata is any harder to care for than P. antennata. The main difference is finding a specimen that's in good shape after being "in the chain of custody". Actually, the radiata in our multi-lion setup is easier to feed than the others simply because is isn't so frantic and in our faces the way our fuzzy pair and sphex are.

P. mombassae is pretty easy to care for. They have a reputation for getting infections in their large eyes, generally due to declining water quality, but once established, we haven't seen any such tendencies (our water isn't horrible, but it's not pristine either). Our specimen is a beast in terms of eating, and is a huge beggar (in typical lionfish fashion).

There are some "handles" for sexing fuzzies (pectoral banding, head size, pectoral fin sweep), but it's easiest with young adult or adult specimens. We're finding that you can't always rely on pectoral banding alone, esp. on juvie/sub-adult fish.

How easy is it to wean the radiata and mombasa lionfish to frozen food?

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

No harder than most...GENERALLY speaking, if one were to be harder to wean, it would likely be the radiata. Our mid-bodied lions are all food beasts, but I'd say that the radiata would suffer from competition if we didn't target feed our fish 100%.

Sounds like a good build, do you have a QT to use for weaning/observing? this will help a lot with weaning to frozen rather then doing so in your display.

Sounds like a good build, do you have a QT to use for weaning/observing? this will help a lot with weaning to frozen rather then doing so in your display.

Still in the planning phase. I don't have anything YET. plan on having a qt tank

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Back