75 gallon stand

renisel

I have a 75 gallon reef, and the stand design makes it so that I can't fit anything bigger than a 15H underneath for use as a sump/fuge. I've looked around for stands with a different design--like maybe a door on the side for sliding in a larger sump--but haven't found anything. Does anybody know where I could find something like this?

If I can't get a bigger sump, I was also considering setting up a 55 gallon refugium right next to my reef. Does anybody have suggestions for plumbing such a system and/or setting up a refugium that would be worthy of being on display? Thanks in advance for any advice.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11613449#post11613449 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by new_world_disor
what about building the stand around the sump ??

Yeah, that's something I've considered. However, if possible, I'd rather buy something than build it. Also, not being able to remove the sump once it's in there could create problems if I ever have a need to do so.

I have a 75gal with a 30L for a sump. I had to remove the center brace on the stand to lower the sump into the stand, and then I replaced the center brace. Obviously I can't get it out now once the tank is established, but have never needed to. It has worked great, I separated it into three areas with glass from Lowes, that I siliconed myself. 1-Skimmer, 2-Fuge, 3-Return Pump and Heater.

I have a similar problem. I have a AGA stand for my 75, and i want to fit a 20g long under it. But the only way to do it is slide it through the side because the tank is already up and running. I've considered cutting away part of the siding but i am hesitant for obvious reasons.

If you figure out any solutions let me know.

You can fit a 29g in most AGA stands for a 75. I have done that on two. You could also buy the tech series stand for a 90 that has access on both sides and the front, which would fit your 75. It's a lot of money though.

I second the idea of building a stand. Yeah, it's a lot more work. But that way you get to dictate (for the most part) the space available inside the stand. The 75G tank is listed as 48" x 18" x 18". You'd likely be limited to a 12" deep tank (front to back), as an 18" deep tank wouldn't really fit well inside that stand, unless you're willing to make the stand deeper than the tank. But you could go with something like a 29G at 30"L x 12"W x 18"H, or even a 38G at 36"L x 12"W x 19"H. On a stand made of 2x4's, you shouldn't need a center brace for a 75G. And getting a 36" tank inside that stand should be a piece of cake (with extra room to spare for storage, shelving, or equipment). Just make sure there's enough height in the stand to insert/remove equipment and work.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11613850#post11613850 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sixspeed
I have a similar problem. I have a AGA stand for my 75, and i want to fit a 20g long under it. But the only way to do it is slide it through the side because the tank is already up and running. I've considered cutting away part of the siding but i am hesitant for obvious reasons.

If you figure out any solutions let me know.

I've explored similar ideas. There's no reason why it shouldn't work to put a couple 2X4's or something in the corners on one side for extra support, then cut a hole in the side panel and slide in a new sump. Psychologically, however, I still feel wary of cutting holes in the thing that's holding up a 1,000 lb tank. Not to mention, it would probably look like crap when I'm done.

it's time to build a stand!! i am so glad i built one for my 75g. now i can fit a 40b under it for a sump, talk about a huge difference in room. if you build a new one, i'm sure you won't regret it.

they way i built my stand is very differnt to a * stand alone * unit.. but i haveit so the front centre support comes out so i cld quickly get a sump in/out

I ended up putting my sump next to my stand -- couldn't fit a 30 gallon under my 75 -- the stand is indented a bit.

An older picture, but give you the idea.

Sittingroom2.jpg

Even older, but you can see the sump a bit better.

Wholeshot.jpg

EDIT, hate those pictures, so here is a picture for a couple of weeks ago. :)

hanginglights.jpg

I had a feeling the consensus might be in favor of the new stand. If I'm going to go to that trouble, I'd like to be able to get a pretty big tank underneath. I'm thinking I might build it a few inches bigger than the footprint of the tank so I can fit a 55, 75 or even a 90G underneath. I would probably put a frame on top to go around the base of the tank, so there wouldn't be awkward-looking empty space surrounding it. I figure that having such a large sump should help to combat or at least slow down temperature swings from the metal halides, as well as provide plenty of space for macroalgae and anything else I want to put in my fuge.

A friend built mine and made the stand to have a removable back piece. I was able to slide in a 55 for my 75.

But I agree with everyone else, easier to have your tanks ( sump and display ) then build a custom stand to suit your needs.

I don't think I've ever read about someone with a bigger sump than their display. A 90 for a sump on a 75..? Might as well use the 90 for the display and the 75 for the sump! :)

But the bigger the sump, the better.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11614357#post11614357 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MrSpiffy
I don't think I've ever read about someone with a bigger sump than their display. A 90 for a sump on a 75..? Might as well use the 90 for the display and the 75 for the sump! :)

But the bigger the sump, the better.

I know I've seen it on nanos and picos--e.g. a 5 gallon display with a 30 gallon sump. I figure if a 55, 75 and a 90 will all fit in the same space, I might as well go with the biggest one. Also, down the road (i.e. when I finish school and have a "real" job), I can probably still use the 90 as the sump for a much larger display.

Back