90 Gallon Stand - Support Confirmation/Opinions

RobZilla04

So I'm moving along nicely with my stand/canopy build. I've reviewed lots of threads related to the strength and suggestions for support. I'd like to share a couple of the pics to get some feedback.

A buddy and I did test the filled tank on the stand for several hours, but haven't left it overnight yet. I was thinking of adding one additional vertical support on each side. Thoughts?

:fish1:

Attachments

• IMG_20161106_121146.jpg
    IMG_20161106_121146.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20161106_121137.jpg
    IMG_20161106_121137.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Way overbuilt stand, you're good to go. I see (6) 2x4's. At that height, a single 2x4 can carry over 1500 lbs. You have 6 of them.

So I'm moving along nicely with my stand/canopy build. I've reviewed lots of threads related to the strength and suggestions for support. I'd like to share a couple of the pics to get some feedback.

A buddy and I did test the filled tank on the stand for several hours, but haven't left it overnight yet. I was thinking of adding one additional vertical support on each side. Thoughts?

:fish1:

Why did you put the 2 center cross braces at a height slightly above the rest of the stand?

Why did you put the 2 center cross braces at a height slightly above the rest of the stand?

I put those slightly higher to tuck up against the bottom glass slightly. I also wanted the bottom of the tank to settle just over those to keep it from sliding front or back while stocking it before the weight settled it.

Probably not necessary but it was preference.

:dance:

I put those slightly higher to tuck up against the bottom glass slightly. I also wanted the bottom of the tank to settle just over those to keep it from sliding front or back while stocking it before the weight settled it.

Probably not necessary but it was preference.

:dance:

IMHO, you need to remove, or at least lower those cross braces. Pressing on the bottom glass is a sure-fire way to cause the seam to fail and/or crack the bottom glass.

Other than that, good job.

IMHO, you need to remove, or at least lower those cross braces. Pressing on the bottom glass is a sure-fire way to cause the seam to fail and/or crack the bottom glass.

yeah.. lower them and throw a plywood top on the whole thing..

I agree, lower those cross braces to avoid putting point pressure on the glass. If this is a rimmed tank, let the rim support the tank, not the glass. It's designed that way.

Agree w/ others, those center braces need to be perfectly flush or removed, depending on tank bottom as mentioned.
Other than that looks good.

As others have said, do not let those two cross braces come into contact with the glass. They will impose stress points that could cause the glass to fail. Lower them and add a plywood top.

I couldn't tell from the pictures but it looked as though the 2x posts at the ends are attached to the horizontal members at the side. It would be best if the load was transferred into the posts in a linear fashion versus at the sides. Using just the side connection relies on just the fasteners and any adhesive if you used any, to carry the weight. Adding some blocking at the corner posts between the top and bottom frames would provide more than enough support.

Otherwise, it's built plenty strong enough and provides a good support.

I couldn't tell from the pictures but it looked as though the 2x posts at the ends are attached to the horizontal members at the side. It would be best if the load was transferred into the posts in a linear fashion versus at the sides. Using just the side connection relies on just the fasteners and any adhesive if you used any, to carry the weight. Adding some blocking at the corner posts between the top and bottom frames would provide more than enough support.

Otherwise, it's built plenty strong enough and provides a good support.

Astute observation, however the stand is so ridiculously overbuilt, this is not an issue. No need to rebuild or change.

It looks like the vertical supports on the long horizontals do land under the rim joist as they should be, I can't see if op ran a vertical directly under on the sides, assuming they built to rockets template as it appears hopefully the 2x's are doubled up at sides making one vertical directly under the horizontal rim at sides too, and if not I would correct that.
I agree relying on fasteners attached to sides only is not correct if that is what OP has done.

Thanks for all the responses.

As far as the raised center cross beams. They do not come in direct contact with the glass, although they are very close. I suppose I could lower them slightly to ensure there will be no stress points on the glass as a couple of you have mentioned.

As for the corner vertical support, each corner has one solid beam from tank to floor and a second (shorter) beam which is attached to the top and bottom frame. Thus the shorter beam is attached to both the rectangular frames top and bottom as well as being screwed to the longer beam.

Here is one more pic before it was skinned, hopefully this will provide some better views.

:bounce1:

Attachments

• IMG_20161105_134134.jpg
    IMG_20161105_134134.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 0
Your last picture helped clarify what was being hidden by the skin. You shouldn't have any problems with weight with that configuration. Make sure the skin panels are secured well. They will be your only support against the stand racking and any lateral movement.

Looks good. Good luck on the build.

Back