9010 in-tank and microbubbles

yeldarbj

I've been running my 9010 in my display for just over 3 weeks now after getting my pump back (thanks again Roger!). While I'm pleased with the skimming performance, I'm still having a lot of microbubbles being released. I was hoping this would decline with time but so far doesn't look like much has changed. I initially had the sliding cover wide open, then I tried running it for a week with the sliding cover only about 1/3 open, but I was still getting just as many bubbles.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

I don't think there is any way around it. I have tried sliding the cover as well. It made little difference. I just live with the bubbles, there really aren't many. It varies from almost none to some depending on whether or not the foam is collapsed from feeding or maintenance.

There are several possible causes of this. It will probably always release a very few bubbles but it should not be excessive and I have a few solutions. First though we need to find the cause. Do the bubbles get worse as the daylight hours progress or are they as much in the morning as when the lights go off?

I think it might be slightly better in the morning but not by much. There is still a pretty solid flow of microbubbles coming from the bottom of the skimmer.

First, make sure the pump is in so the output is inside the clear pipe inside the skimmer.

Bubbles can result from water chemistry, if the bubbles get worse as the day progresses, oxygen saturation is the usual cause. The solution for this is to remove algae, thin fast growing corals and shorten or interrupt the daylight cycle.

If the bubbles are always in abundance the cause can be the surface tension, especially if some sort of colloidal additive is used, like a stress coat or dechlorinator.

Another possible cause is an excessive KH, anything above 14 degrees will lead to excessive bubbles due to gas saturation from the carbonate/carbonic acid equilibrium.

In general the bubbles will reduce as the pump gets dirty.

You can close the shutter door and another possibility is to use the 3179.05 filter mat to trap bubbles before they exit the bottom tray.

Some of it is probably due to oxygen saturation, I do have some excess algae that release some bubbles later in the day. Maybe I'll try reducing the lighting cycle.

Just before my pump broke several weeks ago, I removed a foxface that had been doing a great job at keeping any algae growth in check, but he also took to liking some polyps too much too. Then my skimmer pump went down for a week, and I probably had some excessive nutrient build up and now maybe a minor algae bloom.

Is the filter pad any different than something like this:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=4231&N=2004+113808

Could I just cut it to fit? Does it just go between the pump and bottom cover?

My KH is usually in the 7-9 range, so that shouldn't be a problem. I don't use any dechlorinator or stress coat.

it is only about 2mm thick, it is a very thin floss pad, you could try a couple layers of cheesecloth or a cut out piece of a T shirt, that would be the closest to it.

I'll try a piece of t-shirt. Do I just cut a square the size of the skimmer and lay it on top of the bottom plate (inside)? Will it stay in place?

Or do I cut a larger piece and wrap it around the sides of the pump to help it stay in place?

If I decide to get the floss pad, do I order it through the Tunze web-site or do any on-line vendors carry it?

Just try the T shirt as a test of the concept, if it works I will send a pad in the mail. It should just cover the square plate on the bottom, you may need a rubber band to hold it down.

Roger,

I tried a very thin washcloth on the bottom plate with the only effect being that water was forced out every possible opening in the top of the skimmer, and no skimming. I was able to get the washcloth inside the skimmer box similar to where I'm guessing the filter pad would go. I'm guessing it was blocking the outward flow too much even though the cloth I used I thought would allow more flow than t-shirt fabric.

PM me your address and I will send you one of these pade they are very sheer, you can see through them.

Back