90g plumbing Re-design - Diagram!

sinz

Hi All,

I have decided to re-do all the pumbing as well as build a new sump and refugium for my existing FOWLR 90g tank. I have never been happy with my existing sump as I think it was designed for a fresh water tank with filter floss etc.. I also plan to have some corals in there once I get the nitrates down.

I will have to build the sump and fuge seperate so that they both fit in my cabinet, the dimensions on the digram fit my requirements - just :).

I am welcoming all suggestions/comments as I am not 100% sure what size pipes I should be using.. I will probably be building the sump and fuge out of acrylic.

Thanks,

Michael.

125752sumpdiag2-med.jpg

In the sump I would place the skimmer between the inflows and the return pump. Otherwise you'll mostly be skimming the same water over and over again (which is good, as long as that's all the water ;'] ).

Sorry can't really comment on pipe sizes, though I believe there are calculators for that sort of thing around here (RC main page?). If the height dif between the refugium and sump is small I would make that pipe wider than the recomendation as your not going to get as much head pushing the water through.

Edward

PS. While check valves are great and all, I would still put in a syphon break hole on the return line in case of power loss, easier to make sure they don't fail.

Looks pretty good, loose the check valve and just use a syphon break hole. Save money and reliable.

Skimmer looks to be in best postion!

Thanks guys, I might experiment with the position of the skimmer and see where it works best.

I think I will being 3/4" pipes for the return and 1" for the overflow to the sump and the refugium to the sump.

Hi again,

I have been having a bit trouble sourcing the fittings for the dorso stand pipe. Do any of you know if the pipe fittings sold over in the US comply with the BSP (British Standard Piping) specification?.. since I am in Australia these will have to the type of fittings I use as that is what we use here. The reason I am asking is because I can order everything I need over the net from pvcfittings.com

Thanks,

Michael.

Put the overflow pipes on the far left side so the water has to travel past the skimmer.

Don't use a check valve. Drill a 3/16" or 1/4" or two right below the water level. This will break the siphon.

I would probably go with all 1.5"... rather too big than too little, right? Bigger pipes = less head pressure, less friction = more flow.

Back