92g Oregon Reef

jtarmitage

Hello all. After living in Hawaii for the past 5 years, we have moved up to the Pacific Northwest and it's time to get my fingers wet again. I'm a long time reefer, with my last tank being a 225g(5'x3'x2') custom peninsula that was taken down in a rush prior to moving to the middle of the Pacific lol.
So, it's time to build another tank, and on a bit of a budget. I've got some items so far, and will list the details as I go. Others I'm waiting on until I find the right deal.

THE TANK:
I picked up a used acrylic 60"x18"x18" tank I found on Craigslist. For $75 for the tank and stand, I couldn't really pass it up :)

kog49to

Last edited:
hmmm, it seems I'm having trouble getting the pics to load...if anyone has a good site to use to share photos here, I'd love to hear it. Photobucket was my old go to, but I'm not paying the ridiculous fees for that.

Well, a few other details until I get the images up...
Thus far, I have a few things ordered, including a Waveline DC6000 and a Waterblaster HY7000. I'm not yet sure which will be the return pump vs the closed loop pump, but I got great deals on both, and I guess I've got a little time to figure it out, as I'm still working on modifying and refinishing the stand.
PUMPS:
Return vs Closed Loop
Waveline DC6000 (1585 gph)
WaterBlaster HY7000 (1800 gph)

Heater:
Cobalt 150w Neo-Therm
Eheim Jager 150w (Back-up and extra umph for those cold Northwest months)

RO/DI:
BRS 75GPD 4 stage value RO/DI

Rock & Sand:
50lbs Marco Rock along with a few seed rocks I'll pick up locally
60lbs Carib Sea Arag-Alive

Salt:
HW-MarineMix Reefer Salt - I've always run Reef Crystals in the past, but decided to try something a little different this go round

Lights:
As for lights, I'm holding my breath a bit. I found a too good to be true deal on eBay on a pair of these:
Vervve Plus LED Fixture with Bluetooth - Giesemann
Being the deal that it is, and being that I have to wait an extensive time for economy shipping from China, I will believe it when they are actually in hand...Should this not pan out, lighting is up in the air, but will either be T5, LED, or a combination of the 2 depending on the deal that I can find...

Skimmer:
Yet to be determined. Depends on the deal, though I am looking at the Simplicity 120DC or 240DC. I am vertically challenged in my stand. I cut the bottom out of the stand which gives me 26", but will need room for plumbing and I don't think the 23"-24" skimmers that I like will be fun to maintain...

Controller:
As this was a bit of a budget build, I wasn't going to add a controller, or if I did, I was just going to pick up an AC jr or Reef Keeper lite, but I came across another deal and will be picking up an Apex with a pair of EB8's

Sump:
As for a sump, I can't justify getting what I want, which would need to be a custom job to work in my stand. So I'll be using a pair of plain 15 or 20g tanks plumbed together, with the left being the "system" sump, and the right being a fuge.

I think that covers the basics up to this point...I'll post up more as I go. Happy reefing all.

Use Imgur to upload pictures.

Make a private gallery for the images, and then just use the links for forum code to post them in easily.

If you have a phone, you can upload right from the phone to albums.

If the resolution is wonkily oversized, in imgur go to edit->advanced->save. You don't need to change anything, just going into advanced can cause them to scale down way oversized images.

Good luck on the build! I only just got my 75 gallon up and running too. :)

Ditch the neo-therm heater ASAP! Plenty of threads around with them blowing up, and yes even the supposed "newer" model. I prefer the finnex titanium heating rods. They do of course need to be on a controller of some sort since they do not have one of their own, but they last a lifetime. I only suggested that seeing as you are getting an apex, or I would have suggested to run it on an inkbird.

One other suggestion, ditch the live sand. It's a waste of money. Really how "alive" can it be after its been in a bag and on a store shelf for god knows how long? Go with dry sand, it's much cheaper seeing as your on a budget.

other then that, everything else is looking good.

Back