A.B.S. plumbing??

Bruce, for just $25.00 per year the search works 99.9% of the time. 5.5-6 is a "Premium Member" so it should work for him. ;) The Google search is unable to limit results to a particular forum within RC and in this case I wanted to limit results to the Chemistry forum so I could see Randy's expert opinion on this.

From what I gather scanning the threads returned by that search there's no reason to think ABS is a hazard to the system.

SteveU

I've been using it for years. Not all of my plumbing has been ABS, but I have used enough to be detrimental, but with no issues.

Aren't alot of the Phos reactors, skimmers, and other equipment made out of ABS?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12229171#post12229171 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Bebo77
Search... who does that?

Some of us search instead of post whoring.................OMG am I post whoring????? :eek:

I think it is good to ask questions instead of just searching. Many times there are new better answers to age old questions. People that just say do a search are totally unhelpful.

I have all ABS plumbing in my reef tank. I used it for the smoother bends and black piping looks better too. No issues of any kind.

"why search... when you can post"... is what i say...

how else would you see this BEAUTIFUL avatar of mine....:D

just found this... anyone want to argue with randy?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8127467#post8127467 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Randy Holmes-Farley
IMO, ABS can be fine. I use it for one of my refugia.

Very first link:

http://tinyurl.com/33bujt

A ways down (search for "abs")

Posted by rockyboy30000 on 09/06/2005 03:10 PM:

"Something to consider

Although black looks lovelly on the EAP skimmer, the material used here "ABS" (which differs greatly from black PVC) is toxic according to this site:

http://www.thekrib.com/TankHardware/clear-pvc.html (scroll down and read the last paragraph)

Because of its composition, ABS is likelly to release residual chemicals into the water at low temeperatures. Whether its illegal to use it in the USA its unclear, I have not found any factual evedence. If any of you can help by confirming or denying this, by discussing ABS properties (organic chemistry department) it would be greatly appreciated."

As for search working, even when I was paying, it never worked.

The only reason I'm NOT premium anymore is that I resent having it come out of my credit card automatically every time; I'd rather get an email with a link that I could renew with. I mentioned this to them some time ago and never got a response, so...

Now you've got me wondering what Randy said about it... Stop making me work my brain, dammit!

:p

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12229083#post12229083 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gtrestoration
Bruce, for just $25.00 per year the search works 99.9% of the time. 5.5-6 is a "Premium Member" so it should work for him. ;) The Google search is unable to limit results to a particular forum within RC and in this case I wanted to limit results to the Chemistry forum so I could see Randy's expert opinion on this.

From what I gather scanning the threads returned by that search there's no reason to think ABS is a hazard to the system.

SteveU

ABS is 100% fine for aquariums.........what plastic do you think most if not all pumps are made from?

There are certain types of plastics that are coated with anti-algae stuff, but those are for farm/industrial use's...not commonly sold in your everyday HD or Hardware store.

I wish this ABS thing would stop....every month or so...same Q arise's.

I have it on a few of my tank inlets (Closed loop) and have never had a problem. Just be sure to use the correct glue, not PVC glue. PVC glue will work, but the ABS Glue is better.

Back