A brief re-introduction

dmorel

Can I borrow your towel
Well I just made a post here for the first time in a LONG time, and then got sucked into reading a bunch of threads and commenting on many of them. So I thought I might say hello to the many new folks as I've not really been active on RC in many years, save for a random post here and there. Anyone thinking who is this dmorel dude who just posted on 6 topics in an hour? (I'm in a hotel room killing time before a wedding).

So he's a bit about me and the reef hobby.

I've been in the hobby since 1999, started in Rochester NY. I quickly met the guys that were then (and still are) The Upstate Reef Society. There were maybe 8 guys in it at the time. Including iconic folks like David Playfair, and RC's own Gary Majchrzak.

We grew quickly, and your own PROP farmer Stolireef was quickly an important part of the community.

In his living room, while still in Rochester, the URS formed a plan to replace an ailing tank at the local zoo, and I think we raised over 10K in cash and donations to get it done. It was an amazing thing, and a beautiful display. I was proud to donate a few nice pieces of coral to that tank.

I moved to the valley a bit later, and found the lack of SPS to be disconcerting. I became semi active on the forum here, and started trying hard to import some SPS. The URS guys sent a great care package. I started a small 20 long, but not long after a very old timer MXTang convinced me to restart my 90. And I did.

Not long after that we held a meeting in my living room to talk about the state of SPS in the PHX metro. We decided to form PROP. We all put up a couple hundred bucks and ordered a bunch of captive frags from the well known folks. We were very focused on getting nothing but at least 3rd generation frags for two reasons. The world was finally starting to figure out the reefs were in trouble, and we knew that captive frags, given the right conditions, were relatively predictable.

At that time PROP was not a loved part of the PHX reef scene. We were shamed, made to feel like charlatans that were trying to steal something (the 10% thing at auction) But we soldiered on. And I'm glad we did. One day MXtang vanished. and a solid 1/4 of the prop corals with it. Again the PROP farmers at the time (Anyone remember Erin and Scott?) and several others dipped into our own pockets to get new corals. In the end we persevered.

Eventually, like many of us, life got in the way of reefing, I moved, downsized, and started a new life in start ups that took a tremendous amount of my time (as the one I'm currently working on also does).

But then one day I got the urge. And I found that the round tank at AA was up for negotiation. Prototype, AKA JR, who is probably long gone and my wife were with me. I was hesitating but they pushed me... And the round reef was born. I sourced a number of Japanese fixtures, and with the help of Skip built my dream tank. It was phenomenal for about 18 months. The build thread and some glorious pics, as well as some not so glorious ones, are in this large tanks forum build thread if you are interested

I nearly rejoined PROP at that time after getting contacted by KK (who is not around anymore?), but was admittedly concerned about the fact that PROP was now buying wild collected pieces. I still struggle with this decision, but I've long ago lost all influence over PROP procedures, and frankly I'm super proud of how well the various iterations of PROP have continued to advance knowledge of the hobby, but most importantly provide an easy way for new and old reefers alike to share corals with one another in a way that benefits everyone. I'm grateful to all of you who carry the torch today.

Humbled that what was once a viciously despised idea by many has now become a staple in the community. One that I plan to take advantage of again very soon!

Eventually my tank crashed, slowly but surely, everything was receding.

We salvaged what we could, in fact I think DJ had a number of nice pieces for a few years until the cuke he also saved from my tank exploded and nuked HIS tank (sorry dude.).

Two half hearted restarts occurred in the coming years, but it was never the same. We almost got there with Carlos attempting to do a full restart, but he eventually vanished on me, and time ticked by again.

Now, after another year of Dry Dock, I'm working with a great dude, named Jeremy, who has a service here in the valley. I owe a great debt to Jason Frick who told him this was a project worth taking on, and that I was (despite all evidence to the contrary) not a bad person to work with!

We've made numerous changes and put in place an extensive QT protocol. He keeps an eye on everything when I'm being lazy and I'm going ungodly slow in rebuilding the tank to its former glory, but it's starting to get there. A few caps are showing great growth already, I'm super excited.

I don't read as much as I used to or participate as much as I would like in the community, but I hope to make a PROP auction soonish and perhaps load up the QT and maybe say hello to some old friends, and perhaps some new ones.

You'll recognize me as the guy with bidder number 2 who really likes SPS, acans, and zoas and fair warning, I don't like to lose an auction, though I'm AMAZED at how expensive coral has become, so I may not be able to get everything I want anymore. Stuff I used to give away or sell for 5 or 10 bucks is selling for 100+ What has this world come to ; )

I also am a person who has borderline rage about the practice of "naming a coral" that does not have lineage. Which is to say that just because something has a particular color scheme to it (at the moment they snapped the pic fresh out of the ocean) does not make it "some fancy name" worth 500 bucks.

To me, lineage will always be the most important factor. Hence my desire to find specific corals that brought me to post today. I want things that I know how they react, and that for sure have years since they were last wild collected. A fancy name means nothing to me if it is not traced specifically to a lineage. Knock offs of Blaine's Purple Eaters are the root of all of this. If anyone remembers those days, it's when things really started getting weird and very unpredictable in this hobby. One of the great things about PROP is you typically know where something is from. That's worth more than any fancy name you can put on it. This is a topic I am extremely passionate about, traceable lineage is the most important thing I care about, aside from you know... liking that actual piece we are talking about.

Happy Reefing everyone. Excited to be back. Hope my giant wall of text wasn't too self serving, I mostly meant to just say hi, and ended up writing the history of reefing according to dmorel. So perhaps the thread title should be a NOT so brief re-introduction.

I promise, I really just like drinking beer, looking at nice tanks, hacking ****, and futzing around with weird lighting schemes.

Last edited:
Hey Dave,

Good to see you back! I just started a new reef after being gone for about 4 years so it's nice to see some old names again. Love that you're rebooting the round tank, and looking forward to what you're going to do with it.

You'll be happy to know PROP seems to be doing well. Not sure if you were there this month but it was a huge auction and there were some great deals going.

If you need any help with anything (including the beer drinking) just let me know ;)

PS - Hope you still have that old VW....

Dave:

It's great to hear from you. First, we need to have you go to a dictionary and look up 'brief'. :)

I've been involved with PROP for a few years now but came in well after the initial politics. That said, we still have occasional issues but they are generally pretty low key. We've pretty much returned to the rule about not buying maricultured or wild pieces, largely because the success rate is pretty low with them.

Overall, the auctions are well attended and it seems like most people really enjoy not only cool corals at reasonable prices but also the camaraderie. We gotten a little more sophisticated with the software, but nothing else has changed much.

There are a few people in the area that have really nice pearlberry colonies. Jeff Porter had the market cornered for a while but now, pieces from other reefers pop up. If you just write an ISO post for it, you'll definitely get a response. Same with just about any other well known high end SPS.

As far as naming is concerned, they're all just pretty sticks to me (other than the Icefire Echinata which I have been jonesing for forever).

Do you still remember your son and my daughter playing together at your house (she was around 4 or 5 if I remember correctly). She's graduating from high school this year. Incredible how much time has passed.

Anyway, Welcome back!!

Dave:

It's great to hear from you. First, we need to have you go to a dictionary and look up 'brief'. :)

Likewise! And FOR SURE. I even had to edit my post after to comment on that: Last edited by dmorel; 03/26/2016 at 01:42 PM. Reason: this isn't brief at all.

But you can't edit titles so I was stuck...

I've been involved with PROP for a few years now but came in well after the initial politics. That said, we still have occasional issues but they are generally pretty low key.

Well that's good to hear. There's always small issues of course, but glad to see how it's integrated into the community - as you note below.

We've pretty much returned to the rule about not buying maricultured or wild pieces, largely because the success rate is pretty low with them.

That's even better to hear! That was one of the key points we thought was important as well. So great news.

Overall, the auctions are well attended and it seems like most people really enjoy not only cool corals at reasonable prices but also the camaraderie. We gotten a little more sophisticated with the software, but nothing else has changed much.

You've moved past an excel spreadsheet? That's too fancy for me :)

Really psyched to hear how well it's going. I'm definitely going to try and make it to one of the next ones. Will depend on whether the QT is empty or not. But look forward to getting to say hello to a bunch of folks. I'll be happy to get to see you again, it's been far too long.

There are a few people in the area that have really nice pearlberry colonies. Jeff Porter had the market cornered for a while but now, pieces from other reefers pop up. If you just write an ISO post for it, you'll definitely get a response. Same with just about any other well known high end SPS.

Awesome, I actually did post looking for a few things, that's what actually got me to login to RC again for the first time in forever, and then I, of course, fell into the rabbit hole of reading everything and responded to like 6 threads ;)

Hopefully someone will see my thread, though I didn't tag it ISO so maybe not...

As far as naming is concerned, they're all just pretty sticks to me (other than the Icefire Echinata which I have been jonesing for forever).

I think we share similar philosophies. Perhaps because when we started this whole idea of naming something hadn't even really started except a few pieces that Tyree had, and well of course Todd's Torch ;)

Do you still remember your son and my daughter playing together at your house (she was around 4 or 5 if I remember correctly). She's graduating from high school this year. Incredible how much time has passed.

Of course I do. And yes... Tell me about it. Race is in the back half of his junior year in college. Turning 20 in like 2 weeks. It's unbelievable! (I'm actually going to NY on business week after next and get to see him for a little bit, pretty excited.

Hope your daughter and the whole family is well.

Anyway, Welcome back!!

Thanks man, I'll see you soon!

Hey Dave,

Good to see you back! I just started a new reef after being gone for about 4 years so it's nice to see some old names again. Love that you're rebooting the round tank, and looking forward to what you're going to do with it.

You'll be happy to know PROP seems to be doing well. Not sure if you were there this month but it was a huge auction and there were some great deals going.

If you need any help with anything (including the beer drinking) just let me know ;)

PS - Hope you still have that old VW....

Hey! Good to see you as well!

I'm always up for a beer. Sadly the VW became a little too unreliable and I had to let it go. Some crazy dude from Texas bought it to do a full restore. He's loving it, so it at least went to a good home.

I didn't make the last PROP auction, but I'll make one of the next two. Looking forward to it.

Dave:

You let the VW go away?????? That's just sad (he's the original Reef Hippie). When you have some time, we need to get together for a beer. I've got some new reef geeks that would probably love to meet you.

Oh, and about the Zoo tank, it was an epic adventure. I pretty much screwed up everything I did but still loved the tank. I remember getting stung by the Rabbit Fish in front of a group of elementary school students. The teacher was a little perturbed by my language.

He still ate out of my hand.

I'm relatively new to the area from the east coast. I would love to get together to drink some beer and talk reef tanks. I've built LED light systems for years and would love to share my knowledge. I'll even bring some beer. I'm also getting ready to build my retirement dream house in Scottsdale with a remote sump room. Once it gets started I could give tours.

Hey Dave, good to see you're still lurking around, and welcome back!

All this talk about beer; seems a group meetup at 4-Peaks tasting room is in order :beer:

Hey Dave, good to see you're still lurking around, and welcome back!

All this talk about beer; seems a group meetup at 4-Peaks tasting room is in order :beer:

I know a spot that is nearby, but also has a tank we can look at (I finally finished off the raised floor! So you have to bring the 4-peaks beer.
I'll bring some fat tire though ;).

Hi everyone!

Back