A good brand of carbon

seachem matrix is suppose to be one of the best as well. I wouldn't classify chemi-pure as carbon. there are a few good multi ingredient products like chemi-pure.

In tests of comercial brands, Black diamond from Marineland, Two little fishies and Seachem's matrix came up on top but price wise Seachem was the highest.
Rox 8.0 is also a good generic carbon from aquarium aplications.

Althogh there has been a significant improvement in the amount of phosphates released by all aquarium carbons it is recommended that after rinsing it well, there will be left in RO/DI water for at least 24 hours before use to allow additional phosphate to leach from the carbon before it's use.

I've enjoyed useing ESV carbon. Makes a lot of crackling sounds when you rinse it. Makes me feel good hearing it.

Jason

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14791829#post14791829 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JasonD
I've enjoyed useing ESV carbon. Makes a lot of crackling sounds when you rinse it. Makes me feel good hearing it.

Jason

I also use ESV carbon. I like the low ash.

I currently use the Bulk Reef ROX 0.8 Carbon... I guess it works well but it seems like it takes forever to rinse and I don't like having to cut custom filter-floss inserts to put into my TLF reactors to keep the ROX stuff from leaving the reactor (regular foam inserts that TLF comes with are porous enough to let the ROX 0.8 through). Also fine tuning the flow for the ROX is tricky... I might switch to larger media just so its easier to work with.

Back