A lot more slime sheets with vinegar dosing vs pellets?

BTW. adding extra akainity to raise pH is a very bad idea.It leaves you with high alkalinity an just about the same low pH as CO2 from the air eqiulibrates with teh water.

What is your thought on The Brightwell product 8.3 on a new tank and then moving forward.

The high-pH alkalinity supplements are just sodium carbonate, in effect, and give a temporary boost to the pH. You can make your own by baking some baking soda in a thin layer at 350 degrees for an hour or so.

I've been debating maybe keeping both a small amount of vinegar dosing in the 5-10ml range and also running an undersized biopellet reactor. Theory is that they breed different strains of bacteria leading to greater biodiversity. I just happen to have an extra doser pump head that will be unused with cutting off vinegar dosing.

There is no benefit to varied strains. See post #19. certain bacteria break down ploymers and monomers, others then break down soluble organics.

What I don't get then is why there is so much more slime build up with vinegar than biopellets while the net nitrate and po4 is nearly the same.

Was the vinegar dosed slowly over the course of the photosynthetic period? How much per gallon of water volume? ? How long was the amp up period?It does drop pH precipitously when dosed in bulk which might have something to do with it. The vinegar is miscible and spreads out quickly; pellets may take a bit longer for bacteria to move along to a a variety of loctions.
I don't know what's happening in your tank but the consensus has been that vinegar produces less cynao than other methods. I personally think the cyano issue is relalted to start up changes and shifts in competition for nutrients.

I don't actually have any cyano issues.

80 gallons, 35ml dose spread 5 times throughout 24 hours. This is month 3 or 4 since starting vinegar.

I switched from biopellets to vinegar a few months ago and started with 50ml as someone suggested since it was an established system with biopellets. I've since backed down to 35ml because of the large amounts of bacterial slime throughout the sump (around 400-500gph with a single baffle)

I mistakenly thought the issue was cyano;sorry.

The snotty mats are bacterial. I've had them with vodka and vinegar but it's been a few years.
Perhaps , some bacteria were using the surface area of the pellets and now others need to establish themselves elsewhere or more organic carbon is being dosed overall than with the pellets.
Even though 50ml for 80 gallons is around the level many use ,I'd reduce it and wait for the mess to abate. It does fade away ,ime. Then amp it up slowly until you reach a level that suits your tank.

FWIW I use abut 85% of the dose you are using . If I go higher I get some slime. Each tank is different,so you need to find the level best for yours. Piling up the organic carbon from a variety of sources won't help ,imo.

I would ;probably, say to 25 ml and wait a couple of weeks for the slime to abate. I'd aim for PO4(.02 to .05ppm) and NO3(0.2 to 1ppm) May need some gfo as organic dosing is reduced. Netting out the slime helps too. Once it goes away ,I'd amp the dose up slowly .
When it grew in my system it did grow most in a canister filter use for gac.with some in the ump an other high flow areas.

Back