A never ending bacterial bloom. h2o2?

j_mazzy

So, I set up a new tank. Cycled and cured the rock with acid. Being pukani there are tons of impossible to reach holes filled with organics. I did lanthanum chloride treatments. I then attempted to use a popular reef cycle. After a month or so the tank is still milky. On a side note, I have never had algae and my ammonia falls to zero very quickly..........................

I have a milky tank. I did a 75% water change 5 days ago and it had since milked up again. Best bet is the pukani has enough yummy stuff to feed a huge bacteria population.

I know h202 supposedly disperses instantly and the high o2/orp kills bacteria in the water column... I am looking for advice on dosing per gallon using a35% usp/food grade peroxide. I have hermits in the tank and a few snails. My understanding is snails won't like it. This is my go to option before purchasing a UV sterilizer.

What say you?

I've used 1 ml per 20 gallon on full reef with fish and had no ill effects, I was doing it for algae control and it didn't really effect that so I stopped. I used a uv sterilizer to clear my bacterial bloom, Jebao makes decent ones not that expensive, search amazon.

Hydrogen peroxide is an oxidizer and it'll attack any organic. What's in the tank other than live rock?

1ml per 20 at 35% concentration?

The 35% is a typo? That would be a dangerous concentration to handle but I don't think that would be available to the general public. 3% is what's available at pharmacies & grocery stores and what most advice in this forum is based on. 1ml per 10 gallons is safe for most animals. Constant use may be hard on some shrimp.

How old is this tank and how long has it been milky? If it's a bacterial bloom I would just run my skimmer wet and wait it out, letting things balance out naturally. When the food source(s) deplete so will the bacterial population.

35% is available. it is food grade with no stabilizers and such. I have the 35% on hand and what i use in general for cleaning.

It kills lots of things seen and unseen. I wouldn't use it in a reef tank, personally.

Anyone know the life of h2o2 once it hits the water? I may just remove 5 gallon buckets, treat the water for a few hours then add back into the tank.

So, I set up a new tank. Cycled and cured the rock with acid. Being pukani there are tons of impossible to reach holes filled with organics. I did lanthanum chloride treatments. I then attempted to use a popular reef cycle. After a month or so the tank is still milky. On a side note, I have never had algae and my ammonia falls to zero very quickly.......................... I have a milky tank. I did a 75% water change 5 days ago and it had since milked up again. Best bet is the pukani has enough yummy stuff to feed a huge bacteria population. I know h202 supposedly disperses instantly and the high o2/orp kills bacteria in the water column... I am looking for advice on dosing per gallon using a35% usp/food grade peroxide. I have hermits in the tank and a few snails. My understanding is snails won't like it. This is my go to option before purchasing a UV sterilizer. What say you?

Why don't you figure out the problem, adding chemicals is the cure for your issue, proper tank setups is.

Your situation sounds like a series of cures or solutions to problems that might not have been diagnosed quite correctly. Best to pause at this point.

To help the forum help you, we need some information like tank inhabitants, feeding schedule, lighting period, and water parameters.

I'm all good thanks. It was a bacterial bloom. cyled the tank using a mix of sand and pukani that had been curing for a month in a tub then tried using a popular reef cycling product. the water went cloudy from seeding and feeding the bacteria and I waited a month while the tank was like skim milk. it was so white you could only make out the shape of the rocks. there were no inhabitants as I was cycling the tank.

never got a green, never got cyano, never got algae.

added some crabs and snails and actually have to feed them as nothing grew in over 8 weeks.

I was asking about h202 because I don't want to throw away perfectly acceptable fresh saltwater when the problem is bacteria in the water column.

Just did a couple massive water changes and of course it's clear now but I tossed $50 worth of water when I am sure $1 or $2 worth of h2o2 would have accomplished the same.

Back