A Question on Dipping

Watchm@n

Hey guys,

A quick question on dipping...
Now before I ask my question, I'm aware that the "right" way to introduce anything new is to QT. However, me... and from what I have read, alot of others on here just dont have the ability to do so (let the flaming begin :uzi:)

Now that thats out of the way :eek:
I've read alot of posts on here relating to dipping fish before adding them...
So the scenario is this... when you transport your new fish from the lfs to home, they're already under a fair amount of stress from being caught and then put into the bag and then the drive home etc... you then give them the dip (I'm assuming this puts them under further stress) then add them to your tank...

So the question is, does this whole process put them under double the stress before adding them... therefore making them more susceptible to infection when they get into the display tank, thereby exposing/risking the rest of your stock?

Or have I got the whole thing completely wrong!?:hmm3:

IMO fish being transported from the LFS to home are already stressed and will be susceptible to disease anyway. I FW dip every fish that I acquire, even though most are still going to QT. As long as the parameters in the dip are matched correctly (same pH as destination, same temp, not straight RODI, aerated thoroughly) I don't think the added stress is that much.

If you dont have the ability to QT and follow standard procedures, you cant keep marine fish. You have a better chance with guppies

Wow. kind of rude don't you think? They may not have space for a qt tank of any number of other reasons why they don't have one or dont use one. There's no reason to be so harsh they were just asking a question.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

If you dont have the ability to QT and follow standard procedures, you cant keep marine fish. You have a better chance with guppies
QT police... U must have not read the first sentence...

Please can u point out the rule book where it states that QT is the standard.

There are many people on here and other forums that are successfully reefing without QT either out of choice or simply because we don't have the facility to...

I was under the impression that this was a place where u could ask questions and learn to enjoy the hobby from different points of view... clearly i was wrong..

FYI... I have successfully kept guppies in the past.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Yes, fish are stressed after being caught with a net and put in a bag and transported. I will not buy a fish if he looks irregular or is not eating at the store.

I acclimate on arrival, then they get 50minutes in a formalin dip before going into QT. After that I give them three days to start eating. My potter's waited till the third day.

Then I start TTM. I usually dose Prazi during TTM on day 1 and again on day 8.

If the fish has a visible infestation, dipping in Formalin might not be the way to go. This is subjective, but open sores + formalin = dead fish.

I don't Prophy antibiotics. I have on hand to administer IF I see something....

8 weeks + of observation time before main tank (includes TTM time). My Potter's is still in my observation tank, it's been 8 weeks and 4 days so he is due to come out.

My thought is if the fish can't make it through formalin dip, stress or not, it has zero business going into the DT.

Hope that helps.

Yes, fish are stressed after being caught with a net and put in a bag and transported. I will not buy a fish if he looks irregular or is not eating at the store.

I acclimate on arrival, then they get 50minutes in a formalin dip before going into QT. After that I give them three days to start eating. My potter's waited till the third day.

Then I start TTM. I usually dose Prazi during TTM on day 1 and again on day 8.

If the fish has a visible infestation, dipping in Formalin might not be the way to go. This is subjective, but open sores + formalin = dead fish.

I don't Prophy antibiotics. I have on hand to administer IF I see something....

8 weeks + of observation time before main tank (includes TTM time). My Potter's is still in my observation tank, it's been 8 weeks and 4 days so he is due to come out.

My thought is if the fish can't make it through formalin dip, stress or not, it has zero business going into the DT.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for the reply..

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I give every new fish a formalin bath, no exception.
After that they go into QT for 2 months or longer.

The formalin bath is definitely stressing the fish a bit, but the benefits outweigh that by far. I really don't want Brooklynella, Uronema and the like in my tanks.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Wow. kind of rude don't you think? They may not have space for a qt tank of any number of other reasons why they don't have one or dont use one. There's no reason to be so harsh they were just asking a question.

Rude, perhaps, but ACCURATE.

Not really. If someone told you they wanted a puppy but they didn't want to bother taking it to the vet for shots, what would your response be?

Not really. If someone told you they wanted a puppy but they didn't want to bother taking it to the vet for shots, what would your response be?
I would say it's not my dog so I can't tell you whether or not you should or shouldn't take it to the vet to get its shots. Now if they ask me whether or not they should get shots for the dog then I would say yes it would be very wise to get the dogs shots.

Rude, perhaps, but ACCURATE.
When I first started I didn't even know what a quarantine tank was yes I did my research. I did months and months and months of research and then whenever I finally found out what a quarantine tank was I couldn't afford to run a quarantine tank. but now I have the money to run a quarantine tank and have since removed all my livestock from my tank let it sit for 10 weeks and then put all my livestock through quarantine and then back into the tank and everything goes through quarantine now even corals.

Well, if people would pick up a book on keeping saltwater fish before actually going out to buy their first fish, they should at least know about the the reasons for, and the barest basics of quarantine. At least I have yet to find a general book on keeping saltwater fish that doesn't have a chapter on quarantine - and some of the books I have go back to the 1970s. So, quarantine is nothing new, not in a long shot. No one should be claiming that (s)he didn't know about quarantine without being deeply embarrassed for not doing the most basic of research into the hobby before starting it. Especially since it is now really easy with the internet to find out everything you need to know.

Now, there may be valid reasons to forgo some or all of quarantine with certain fish under certain conditions.
But any new fish that goes into a tank with other established fish should be quarantined well to protect the established population.

Now, there may be valid reasons to forgo some or all of quarantine with certain fish under certain conditions.
But any new fish that goes into a tank with other established fish should be quarantined well to protect the established population.

I have no dogs in this fight (debate) but I often wonder what roll certain fish serve in this capacity. Along the lines of the cleaner and fish that supposedly eat parasites. I also wonder how one would handle the QT process of a larger fish (tang) in the smaller DT that a QT typically yields (40/50 breeder types).

I do agree that adding a fish of unknown health does lead one to playing Russian Roulette with a semi-automatic ;)

What shots? Obviously some are required by certain cities/towns/states, like Rabies, but plenty are available that are recommended or suggested but not required. What ones do you "require" for a dog owner to be considered a responsible pet owner?

Point being, there are many ways to QT, and some people with very successful tanks here don't. The is no perfect end all be all method.

The point is, you can either decide to be responsible and diligent, or can decide to be irresponsible and lazy.

There should not be any question as to which is the better option

Back