A. thiellei -vs- A. leucokranos

WDLV

Skunk Hybrid Freak
What’s the difference between A. leucokranos and A. thiellei?
First I’d like to take a look at some of their similarities. Both fish possess a white bonnet in their classic examples. Both fish have similar body color. Both fish are believed to be hybrids.
To cite what I feel to be the most reliable source, Anemone Fishes and their Host Sea Anemones by Daphne Fautin and Gerald Allen. On page 110 it states that A. thiellei is “reddish-orange with single relatively narrow white head bar; also small white saddle on top edge of tail base. Maximum length 65mm.”
On page 87 the second picture shows two A. leucokranos. The first has no saddle at the tail base. The second has a bit of a white saddle at the tail base though it is difficult to make out due to the angle of the shot. The two leucokranos clowns I possess have white at the tail base too. I’ve spoken to two members on rareclownfish.com who have A. thielleis. One is a classic example, the other is a bit less cut and dry. Both individuals cite their source as being in the Phillippine Islands. One specifically from Cebu. This is consistant with the probable range as defined in the book.
I have had the pleasure of seeing quite a number of leucokranos photographs in recent years. It is clear that both species have a propensity toward inconsistent markings.
On page 85 there is another picture of an A. leucokranos that is said to be crossed with A. chrysopterus. Personally I would just call it A. leucokranos because A. chrysopterus and A. sandaracinos are the known parents of this hybrid. I say this with confidence because I have seen photos of a leucokranos coming from A. sandaracinos parents courtesy of a hobbiest in Brazil. Also, I have had conversations with Bruce Carlson who has seen these fish in association with A. chrysopterus and A. sandaracinos. Mr Carlson referred me to Fernando Nosratpour of the Birch Aquarium at Scripps. Mr. Nosratpour is credited with being the first person to breed A. leucokranos in captivity. This was done to verify that the species is a hybrid. Mr. Nosratpour referred me to an article that he wrote. Published in the March/April 1997 issue of Aquarium Frontiers magazine, it was titled “Amphiprion leucokranos â€"œ A Case For Hybridization.” In the article it discussed the methods used to breed the pair and more importantly for this discussion, the variants in the offspring. The following results were given on page 18 of the issue. Complete with photos. By the way, most of these photos show a saddle-like marking on the base of the tail.
“Pigmentation types of tank-reared A. leucokranos and percent occurance from a total of 32 individuals.
Leucokranos type â€"œ 28.1 percent
Chrysopterus type â€"œ 12.5 percent
Sandaracinos type â€"œ 15.6 percent
Perideraion type â€"œ 9.4 percent
Interdeterminate â€"œ 34.4 percent”

I think this backs up the conclusion that A. leucokranos is indeed a hybrid between A. chrysopterus and A. sandaracinos.

I also spoke with Daphne Fautin regarding these two fish. While stating that ‘Jerry is more the fish expert’ she did discuss with me some details of his findings, thoughts and conclusions. He was among the first to put together that A.leucokranos was probably a hybrid due to it’s natural associations. Also while the book was being written, A. Thiellei was a relatively new discovery. Dr. Allen was anxious to add this species to the book. I seem to remember her saying that Mr. Thiel (pronounced “teel”) was a personal friend of Dr. Allen and that he was excited to be among the first to publish him as being the discoverer of the species.

A lot of these conversations are third person. I am trying to get in contact with Dr. Allen to get some of these facts directly from the source. I would also like to question him to determine if there’s a distinction between the two species that I’m missing.
At this point as clearly as I can discern, the only major difference between these two fish is their range. However because the parent fish to A. leucokranos exist in both regions, I think it is probable that these two may very well be the same species.

Original thread -
http://www.rareclownfish.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1829

Re: A. thiellei -vs- A. leucokranos

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10982615#post10982615 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by WetSleeves
............ I think it is probable that these two may very well be the same species.

Well... they can't be the same species because neither one is a species, they are hybrids. In the case of leucokranos, siting many of the same sources that you did, it is more common to see them associating with chrysopterus, sandaracinos and even clarki clowns in the wild, than with another leuc. This coupled with the fact that they don't breed true when spawning with each other, they may well breed themselves out of existance in the next 20 years.

On to your question of the differences. IMO, thiellei have a different body shape than a leuc. The thiellei have a more ocellaris shaped body while the leucs can have a more chrysopterus shaped body. The other thing that seems different to me is the head bar. Again, I see the head bar in the thiellei being more circular like an ocellaris vs. the more of a straight bar of the leuc.

I have heard at least one person propose that the thiellei seemed like an ocellaris crossed with one of the skunk species rather than the chrysopterus x sandaracinos parentage of the the leuc. From what I have seen, I would have to agree.

I guess in short, I don't care what the results are of my search. I would just like to find out what exactly an A. thiellei is. If it is the same as A. leucokranos, that's great. If it's something else, that's great too. I have a geneticist friend doing a little research for me too. I probably can't afford DNA testing, so what I may end up doing is breeding hybrids of fish found in the region. By the time I get to that point, I'm sure someone else with better resources will have found the answer to my question.
But I'll continue persuing the answer nonetheless.

I agree on your comment about the body plan, but not on the head stripe. I will look at that more closely though to see if I see what you're seeing. :)

Wetsleeves, I have been folowing your threads on rare clownfish and I believe that I have found two clowns that are identical to your clown in question. They had a grayish cast to them and were very very thin so I have not brought them home yet. I am waiting a few days to go and take a gander at them again. If I make it to their location today, I will snap some photos so that we can compare.

For God's sake man. What are you waiting for. I'd be likely to buy them off you for cost plus a little for the favor.

Actually it's woman... I am waiting on my husband to get home from work. I will not know until I get them and actually compare them to your pictures, but the markings and body shape seems dead on. I tried to talk him into buying them yesterday with no such luck, lol. Maybe I can today when he gets to read more of your posts :)

Well at least they won't cost any more than 50 a pair, unless the manager found out what he had. I just hope they do not have brook. I couldn't tell if they appeared to have a thickened slime coat, or if it was the lighting although I didn't have time to really look. Knowing my luck, I will bring them home and discover I have 10 dollar fish, lol.

$50.00 per pair isn't bad for any pair of clowns. If they are what you think, I wish I'd found them first. :p

Phil,
sandaracinos doesn't have a head stripe???

Perhaps I should have said "classic" rather than "typical." Yes, there are a lot of variations of thiellei. I don't know if it just seems that way or if it's just because there is a much more limited number to view as opposed to A. leucokranos. As was shown with Mr. Nosratpour's figures, there are going to be a lot of variants even with two leucokranos parents. Some looking like chrys, or sand, some taking on a common look of what would be easily identifyable as A. leucokranos and some that are somewhere in between.
Now the variations may be helpful in determining the origins of this fish. If for instance we find several that look like A. ocellaris with a slight variation and some look like A.perideraion, than it would narrow down the possible origins. The avitar you posted is a great example of that. That head bar looks an awful lot like A. ocellaris but I would definately call that fish thiellei given the field description. If I look at other examples and compare them to other fish known to live in that region I would say the probability is high that the parents are A. ocellaris and A. perideraion or A. sandaracinos. The next step is verifying that through captive breeding to try and replicate the desired result. If the above is correct, than it would explain the body shape differences between leucs and thiels.
Luckily all the above fish are readily available and generally cheap. I have a new breeder tank I've been looking to fill. I can put 7 pairs in this puppy. I think I'll get cracking. I have a local ocellaris breeder in mind. Anyone know a sandaracinos and perideraion breeder in my region?

Last edited:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10984055#post10984055 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by WetSleeves
Phil,
sandaracinos doesn't have a head stripe???

................. The next step is verifying that through captive breeding to try and replicate the desired result. If the above is correct, than it would explain the body shape differences between leucs and thiels.

I knew I didn't say that right. :) What I meant to say was if we are assuming that thiellei is a hybrid between ocellaris and sandaracinos, your fish seemed to get its body shape from the sandarcinos parent, where other thielleis I have seen have more of a ocellaris shaped body.

I know that JHardman tried the ocellaris x perideraion mix without success. Twice I have tried the chrysopterus x sandaracinos mix without success. I figured I would have a bigger percentage of leucs that way than with a leuc x leuc cross. (If that is actually the way leucs were formed)

If I were you, I would try a ocellaris female with a male sandaracinos. Ocellaris females are a little easier to get into breeding condition and the sandarcinos will keep the orange color better than a perideraion.

I might be easier to find WC skunks than to find local breeders. I used to raise orange skunks, (in fact I have a WC and a F1 that just started laying eggs) but the market for them makes it not worth the effort.

FWIW: I was lucky enough to see Fernando's leuc babies in person when they were about 2 or 4 months old (its been a while :) ). It was a very strange assortment of patterns.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10985555#post10985555 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by phender

FWIW: I was lucky enough to see Fernando's leuc babies in person when they were about 2 or 4 months old (its been a while :) ). It was a very strange assortment of patterns.
Now that must have been quite impressive. Especially at that time.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try some sandaracinos/ocellaris pairs and see what happens. I have a bonded pair of perideraions that I could split up (probably won't) and a 12+YO Female ocellaris who just lost her CR mate of 12 years.
Given the Data that I have I am guessing that ocellaris may be one of the parents of thiellei. If true it seems plausible given regional origin, body plan and pigmentation that either sandaracinos or perideraion would be the mate.

One thought i have not conveyed yet is that I have seen that there are at least two different variants of A. chrysopterus. One has a white tail. The other has a yellow tail. i don't know what region hosts which, but if my initial thought is right about thiellei and leucokranos being one and the same, this could explain the differences between the two.

Back when I was researching my Thiellei somebody told me that the divers in the Phillipines specifically look for Leucs & know very well what they are. Mine came in with a group of sandaracinos. Mine definetly has the body shape of a sandaracinos. All of the leucs I've seen have a shape more like a chrys, especially the tails. He's still very small & hasn't grown much at all. I do notice over time the head band on him is getting completely outlined in black. I was thinking of pairing him with a perc. I would love to find a sandaracinos locally but everytime I've seen them they were in real bad shape.

The sandaracinos I got from liveaquaria was in great condition and the guarantee can't be beat. I will likely buy from them if I can't find any TR. BTW, would you mind sharing a photo?
Here's mine sleeping.
DSC00119.jpg

Wetsleeves,
Where did you get your Leucs from?

Also, I didnt see you mention it anywhere in this thread, but on page 110 of my copy of "Anemone Fishes and their host Sea Anemones", Fautin and Allen state that A.thiellei is most likely a hybrid between A.chrysopterus and A.sandarcinos.....just like A.leucokronos...

so if this is true, and both are hybrids from the same pairs of parents...wouldnt they be the same fish?

Nick

Here's an old pic of mine. I need to get a better one but it's really hard now that he's lost his rbta.
31350thiellei5.JPG

The male was purchased at the MACNA conference in DC a couple years ago. The female came from Inland Aquatics about a year ago.
I need to reference my book again, but I don't recall my version saying that theillei is probably a hybrid between the two fish. If I am right, yours may be a revised version.

Back