A ton of questions

MMacro

I have two juvenile clownfish that I did not want to put in my DT due to flow issues and them getting sucked into the overflow. I had a different thread about this. They seem to be ok but they have been struggling against the flow and they cant get to any food since the other fish eat it before they can get to it. I am going to move them back into my 15 gallon QT along with a new carpenters fairy wrasse that I am quarantining right now. Will there be any problems between the three fish? I have a marina s20 with cycled filter media from my DT in one of the filter slots. The rest of the slots have the ammonia neutralizing/carbon filter pads. I need to replace them soon. The existing water in the QT was originally water from my DT that I took out when I did a water change two weeks ago. Im going to do a water change today. Will there be any problems with ammonia? I also have a sponge filter. Also, does the wrasse need sand? I have some PVC pipes for them to hide in but none of the fish have ever gone in or even gotten close. The quarantine tank is a 15 gallon with no sand/rock. I have some egg crate on top of the tank because I was worried about the wrasse jumping out. I got the wrasse from Petco and I watched one of the employees feed him. He was very healthy and ate a lot. When I checked in the morning when I turned on the light he was laying in the corner of the tank. He was still breathing normally. Is this normal behavior? Also, I was looking into getting a Lawnmower Blenny. Would I have any problems with putting him in my DT along with a Midas Blenny, Neon Velvet Damsel, Green Chromis, Carpenters Fairy Wrasse, and a Diamond Watchman Goby? Would I also be able to add another wrasse? If so, which one/ones? I think I forgot to mention that my DT is 75 gallons. Thanks

IMO, I think you should hold off on any more livestock additions for a while.

A lot of these questions can be better answered by doing a search.

You will find RC to be helpful community when you have unanswered questions, however, you must be willing to do the research. Patience is also a must, you don't to have it when you start this hobby, but you must again be willing learn it.

As far as your fish go, I cannot attest to the compatibility of your intended fish, but shouldn't this question have come to mind before you got the carpenters fairy wrasse? Unless of course the plan was to put them in separate tanks.

Also, how many fish do you plan to stock in the QT at one time?

Sorry, I forgot to mention, I already have the Midas blenny, fairy wrasse (in qt), green chromis, neon velvet damsel, the clownfish pair, and diamond watchman goby.
I have had them in the tank for a few months and they are doing great.

Also, I have been in the hobby for about a year and did my research. These are just a few questions that I have for my own tank/fish.

Is this a reef tank or a FOWLR? If it's a reef, you're moving way too fast on livestock. To put things in perspective, I just completed a new build on a 110 reef. Cycle started on March 31. Cycled for about five weeks and added one fish (a Coris Wrasse). I may add one more fish in the next week. I won't be at your stocking level until at least the end of the year.

That said, I don't think you'll have a problem in your QT with those fish. I'd also be concerned about the wrasse laying down like that. They do burrow in sand at night but I've never seen one do what you're describing.

Is this a reef tank or a FOWLR? If it's a reef, you're moving way too fast on livestock. To put things in perspective, I just completed a new build on a 110 reef. Cycle started on March 31. Cycled for about five weeks and added one fish (a Coris Wrasse). I may add one more fish in the next week. I won't be at your stocking level until at least the end of the year.

That said, I don't think you'll have a problem in your QT with those fish. I'd also be concerned about the wrasse laying down like that. They do burrow in sand at night but I've never seen one do what you're describing.

I did not add all of these fish at the same time. I added each fish in two week intervals. Its been two weeks so I went out and bought the fairy wrasse. Also, the wrasse is healty and swimming around during the day. They just make "cocoons" around them made of slime when they sleep.

But you didn't answer my question. Is this a reef tank or a fish only with live rock? While you may be OK at the moment, you are running a real risk of all kinds of water chemistry issues ranging from insufficient bacterial populations to high nutrients. This is somewhat less important in a fish only tank. In a reef, it can cause real nightmares.

But you didn't answer my question. Is this a reef tank or a fish only with live rock? While you may be OK at the moment, you are running a real risk of all kinds of water chemistry issues ranging from insufficient bacterial populations to high nutrients. This is somewhat less important in a fish only tank. In a reef, it can cause real nightmares.

It is a reef. Ammonia is undetectible and so are phostphates and nitrates.

Back