Aaarrrggg's 144g Half Circle Dream

I've been fighting some pretty horrible cyano on the sandbed on the left side of the tank; pulling out the big clumps whenever I have the canopy off.

cyano4.jpg

I wish I could go back and tell "past me" to bring the side pillars in a little so the mp40s have a bit more room. I didn't really think about pump placement when I aquascaped and it's resulted in the side pillars shielding the tank somewhat from the flow. Ideally the powerheads should be on the side of the tank facing each other, but as the glass is curved, that option is completely out. I may have to add another dose of chemi-clean, although I'm trying to hold off on doing that in case it upsets my already fragile nems.

My large brittlestar is still stuck in the thin bit of the overflow, so he hadn't been any help in keeping the sand clean. I bought a fighting conch and couple of tiger tail cukes to help out, but none of them have moved much yet. Maybe once they settle in they might head towards the cyano sand.

tiger-tail-cuke.jpg

But it hasn't been all doom and gloom! :) I was using a torch to check on the sunburst nem around the back of the rockwork and a darting movement caught my eye. Would you believe it, it was a baby Bangaii Cardinal!!

baby-bangaii.jpg

(see medium magfloat for scale)

Extreme close up:
baby-bangaii-close.jpg

Issac (Dad) is already holding a new clutch so the baby must be at least 2 weeks old. Considering cardinals are supposed to be reared in a dedicated tank with live foods, it's amazing that he's survived in the DT! He's quite close to the sickly sunburst nem, so I wonder if he's been noshing on the enriched mysis/Rods food that I've been squirting in that end of the tank?

None of the other fish ever venture to that part of the tank and the fire shrimp that lives there doesn't seem to notice him so hopefully if I keep turkey basting in his direction he'll continue to grow. Nature is amazing! :lolspin:

I have a few more frags and a couple of new fish! It was supposed to be 3 new fish, but unfortunately the Copperband didn't make it through the store's QT... which in retrospect might not be the worst thing in the world for my ailing nems!

Meet one half of the Pikachu twins! (aka Yellow Clown Gobies)

clown-goby-1.jpg

I know, I know! I need to stop stocking like a nano owner! But I liked the idea of playing Where's Wally/Waldo with them.

One of them has taken up residence on the right pillar, almost constantly visible hopping in and out of the Marco rock (man they love Marco rock!) He's even been getting brave enough to sneak into the fake nem, although I hope I'm not encouraging bad habits for later on down the road!

clown-goby-chillin.jpg

I hadn't seen the second one since adding them and figured he must have perished, but suddenly the other day at feeding time he came streaking out of the left side LR and landed in Kululu's burrow! Kululu was not pleased with the uninvited guest and before I could do anything to stop it, he ate him!! :eek2:

Now I've read that yellow clown gobies secrete a poisonous mucus to protect themselves, and it looks like Kululu might know that now too, because a few moments later he spat him out in a coughing fit. Pikachu #2 was a little stunned for a moment, but then swam off to the safety of the LR. I haven't seem him since, but I hope he's in there somewhere.

I've also been buying a few frags from local reefers. Nothing too photogenic yet, but I wanted to document them so I can have some growth shots later.

Thought I'd take a chance on some easy care SPS. Much to my surprise they seem v happy:
sps-frags.jpg

New yuma makes my old one look pale in comparison!
new-yuma.jpg

Eye of Ra zoas
eye-of-ra.jpg

There are some more zoas scattered about but I couldn't get a good shot of them (curved glass does have its drawbacks.)

The open brain has been looking a bit withdrawn lately so I moved it into a more shaded spot. After further investigation it sounds like the red ones are from deeper waters. Really hope it recovers because it's one of my favs.

I didn't realize until I compared this FTS with the last, but the frogspawn and green toadstool are growing like crazy!

2012-7-7.jpg

One of the strombus snails from IPSF managed to lay an egg sack in a great place for taking photos. It was SUPER hard to remember to not clean that bit of the glass for a few weeks, but I did it!

strombus-egg-grow1.jpg
strombus-egg-grow2.jpg
strombus-egg-grow3.jpg
strombus-egg-grow4.jpg
strombus-egg-grow6.jpg
strombus-egg-grow7.jpg
strombus-egg-grow8.jpg
strombus-egg-grow9.jpg
strombus-egg-grow10.jpg

One weird thing that I only noticed just now while looking at the pictures on a big screen. Anyone know what the heck this is?

strombus-egg-weird.jpg

that is an awesome shot of that egg sack! I love those little snails and was lucky to get a couple on the LR I got. Now my whole tank is populated! The nerite snails reproduce readily as well. Tank is looking good!

Glad to see you anemones are doing better. Same thing happened to me and mine just did not make it. of course I have a cleaner shrimp that would not leave it alone and I cannot catch him.... How did you catch yours? maybe I will get a carpet anemone instead if I can't.

Wow! A whole lot of updates, i love it.
I just now noticed that we have the same species of lps.
And we both have a yellow clown goby. And cleaner shrimp.
I can't believe that baby cardinal, how cool is that?
I've no experience with rbta.
I usually have to feed my cleaner shrimp first, big pellets in order to keep them busy for a good while so the corals can eat without the shrimp ripping them out of the corals mouth.
That nem made incredible turn around after the vortech accident.
I know you probably have done this already but i have to ask: have you tried placing (gently wedging) them between two rocks? I read that a couple times here on rc.
Also, what is your tank lighting like currently? Sorry if you already answered that in this thread.

that is an awesome shot of that egg sack! I love those little snails and was lucky to get a couple on the LR I got. Now my whole tank is populated! The nerite snails reproduce readily as well. Tank is looking good!
Thanks! Oh that reminds me, my nerites have been at it too. One laid eggs all over the fake anemones mouth! It just kept doing circles and laying down more white spots. :lol: I couldn't get a clear picture so I forgot to post about it. It's funny how much everyone in the tank seems to love that fake nem! Amazingly, Marley ♀ doesn't chase anyone away who isn't Guybrush ♂, so it's always pretty busy!

3-in-nem.jpg

Glad to see you anemones are doing better. Same thing happened to me and mine just did not make it. of course I have a cleaner shrimp that would not leave it alone and I cannot catch him.... How did you catch yours? maybe I will get a carpet anemone instead if I can't.
I was lucky that my cleaners were the fearless sort that clamber all over you when you put your arm in the tank. I baited a tall cocktail glass with some shrimp pellets (kinda sick that shrimp love shrimp pellets!) and held it just below the surface. They both came running and started exploring my arm to try and find the pellets. It was REALLY hard to hold my arm still and have them crawl about and pinch me, but after a few mins one headed down into the glass to grab the food. I pulled it up quickly and got him! *insert "shrimp cocktail" joke here" Then repeated for the other one. :D

Wow! A whole lot of updates, i love it.
I just now noticed that we have the same species of lps.
And we both have a yellow clown goby. And cleaner shrimp.
Super pleased with the yellow clown goby! He's such a little character. Really hope the other one shows up and I can get a pair.

I can't believe that baby cardinal, how cool is that?
I know!! :D I keep checking on him to make sure he's still there and that I didn't imagine the whole thing. L'il chap is still going strong.

I've no experience with rbta.
I usually have to feed my cleaner shrimp first, big pellets in order to keep them busy for a good while so the corals can eat without the shrimp ripping them out of the corals mouth.
I used to bribe mine with some food first, but I suspect that they might have been going back and picking on the nems after they'd finished. I might try cleaners again once the nems are healthier. I used to have a cleaner in with the RBTAs in my first tank and they were always so sticky that he didn't have a chance of stealing food from them.

I know you probably have done this already but i have to ask: have you tried placing (gently wedging) them between two rocks? I read that a couple times here on rc.
The rose likes wandering up the sides, so I've been pealing it off and sticking it all sorts of "comfy" looking places to no avail. The sunburst has only moved a couple of inches from where I first placed it, unfortunately it headed under a shelf so I can see it through the glass, but can't reach it very well from the surface.

Someone brought up a good point in another thread that it's possible the two BTAs don't like each other and there's some sort of chemical warfare going on. It will be interesting to see if they both fare better now the rose has moved across the tank.

Also, what is your tank lighting like currently? Sorry if you already answered that in this thread.
I've been tweaking the radions schedule quite a bit lately. Slowly phasing out a lot of the red light in the hopes of eliminating the cyano. I'll have to hook up my laptop to take a screenie. I'll come back and post that shortly...

Great thread. Ive been trying to find an angle to talk with my wife about an ATO and Auto water change and you gave me the perfect angle.

Im subscribing.

I was lucky that my cleaners were the fearless sort that clamber all over you when you put your arm in the tank. I baited a tall cocktail glass with some shrimp pellets (kinda sick that shrimp love shrimp pellets!) and held it just below the surface. They both came running and started exploring my arm to try and find the pellets. It was REALLY hard to hold my arm still and have them crawl about and pinch me, but after a few mins one headed down into the glass to grab the food. I pulled it up quickly and got him! *insert "shrimp cocktail" joke here" Then repeated for the other one. :D
*takes notes*. I love how you did that. Brill.

Super pleased with the yellow clown goby! He's such a little character. Really hope the other one shows up and I can get a pair.
You're right they are characters lol. I hate when they pinch my hand.

I used to bribe mine with some food first, but I suspect that they might have been going back and picking on the nems after they'd finished. I might try cleaners again once the nems are healthier. I used to have a cleaner in with the RBTAs in my first tank and they were always so sticky that he didn't have a chance of stealing food from them.
That's right i forgot that they do go about the tank that way, even when they're done eating their food.

I've been tweaking the radions schedule quite a bit lately. Slowly phasing out a lot of the red light in the hopes of eliminating the cyano. I'll have to hook up my laptop to take a screenie. I'll come back and post that shortly...
Cyano baffles me as far as what kelvin it likes (or hates is a better word).

Hi Aaarrrggg,

Thank you much for your thread. It is a really good read so thank you for the time and effort :) Couple things hit me while I was reading it so figured I'd throw it out there.

First regarding IPSF and the possible aptasia hitchhiker. Did you contact them by any chance? I've made a couple purchases from them and never run into anything like that. They have a pretty clean system that they use there so I'd be surprised if it was. As you pointed out it isn't uncommon to get "extra" things when you order from them, I know I have. Mini-stars, worms, etc. I love that place for their clean-up crew and other goodies. And as you saw from the small strombus snals, those little guys lay eggs like crazy. They don't do well if they land on the sand but boy do they work on glass and larger crushed coral type beds. Anyway - just figured I'd mention it if you didn't incase it was something bad it may help in case they are not aware.

Secondly - regarding the LED's and the bubble tips (or any other coral I've found). I've found that I had to dim down my LED's to prevent bleaching and other nasty things when I bought critters home from my LFS and placed them in my tank. To the tune of keeping them around 75% if not more than full capacity to prevent harm. There is so much unknown about LED's still but the common practice appears to be lowering the output to acclimate the tank.

Not sure if that is what is happening but I've had this happen now on both our tanks with LED's. Even if the LFS was using MH's it never seems to matter. In with the new and down go the LED's - lol. It is really easy now that I'm using a controller compared to before manually doing it via the potentiometers.

Anyway - love the thread. Enjoy the effort you shared with us. And I like the results. Keep up the work, it really shows you and your better half ( :) ) enjoy the hobby!!!!

Thanks everyone! :D

Great thread. Ive been trying to find an angle to talk with my wife about an ATO and Auto water change and you gave me the perfect angle.
Happy to help! :)
The waterchanger has been working like a dream so far. Haven't even had to re-calibrate the Litermeter. I check the SG in the tank regularly and it's always spot on. Amazing!

The only thing you might want to change is where the waste water goes. Our wastewater bill has become rather ridiculous, so I'm going to have to figure out how to send it outside. Wish I was handy enough to hook it straight into the sprinklers. I hate wasting water, esp when it's so dry outside.

First regarding IPSF and the possible aptasia hitchhiker. Did you contact them by any chance? I've made a couple purchases from them and never run into anything like that. They have a pretty clean system that they use there so I'd be surprised if it was. As you pointed out it isn't uncommon to get "extra" things when you order from them, I know I have. Mini-stars, worms, etc. I love that place for their clean-up crew and other goodies. And as you saw from the small strombus snals, those little guys lay eggs like crazy. They don't do well if they land on the sand but boy do they work on glass and larger crushed coral type beds. Anyway - just figured I'd mention it if you didn't incase it was something bad it may help in case they are not aware.
I'm afraid I didn't think to contact them, although nothing bad has popped up since, so either that was the only one, or it was something else entirely harmless. I've been really enjoying watching all the critters spread. The spaghetti worms are EVERYWHERE!

The only thing that hasn't really worked out are the "Mirco Hermits." Just as someone warned me earlier in the thread, it turns out that Zebra Hermits get pretty big! They started stealing food from my ailing wellso and nems so I had to have a big round up and trade a bunch of them in.

Really starting to go off inverts... :( I'm hoping I might be able to introduce them back again once the corals/nems have a chance to get established. In the meantime I have nass and bumblebee snails (and some small wily zebras I couldn't catch) to take over scavenging duties.

Secondly - regarding the LED's and the bubble tips (or any other coral I've found). I've found that I had to dim down my LED's to prevent bleaching and other nasty things when I bought critters home from my LFS and placed them in my tank. To the tune of keeping them around 75% if not more than full capacity to prevent harm. There is so much unknown about LED's still but the common practice appears to be lowering the output to acclimate the tank.
Yeah that was definitely one of my mistakes with the Sunburst nem. I assumed that because they can move it would just move away from the lights if it didn't like it, but I guess they must be like us and not always know they're getting burnt until it's too late.

My other mistake was not drip acclimatizing it. Dumb I know, but my first nem had been fine with a few cups of water added to the bag and then being dumped in. I didn't factor in that this nem had been though a long road trip before getting to me. Argh, kicking myself about it now.

This build is exciting!! I read through all 8 pages...

Updates! Updates! Updates!
Hehe! Not too much to report I'm afraid. The rose BTA seems to be doing a little better; staying still and accepting food, although it still looks pretty dreadful.

The sunburst BTA is touch and go. Some days I think it's over, and then it starts looking a little better. It started wandering around and I managed to corral it into a breeder net; so at least I can (attempt to) feed it now.

My little cardinal miracle is still going strong around the back of the rocks. Once the nem has finished with the breeder net (one way or another) I'm going to try and catch the baby cardi and keep him in there. He's doing great in the tank, but I'm worried about the day he ventures out into the tank proper and meets Mommy & Daddy. I don't think they'll be as pleased to see him as I was!

There is one piece of excitement, I just won a new BTA on eBay! Feast your eyes on this baby! :spin1:

christmas-bta.jpg

It's perhaps not the wisest thing to add to a tank with my current BTA issues... but I couldn't resist!! Definitely going to drip acclimatize and lower the lights this time though!

That water changing station is sweet. I would love to set something up like that and get rid of my 5 gallon bucket routine. Thanks for posting the pics of it, gives me a good place to start. Tank is looking good by the way, I have a 72 bow and I love the curved fronts.

Back