About the supplement ratios with Magnesium

DenverDave

Hi Randy,

I am brand new to this site, so please forgive me if you have already answered this question.

When I mix Instant Ocean to a SG of 1.023, I measure Mg to be about 950 ppm. Obviosly, I would like to boost this substantially before adding it to my tank.

Here's my situation: I am basically following your two part recipe, except for I am using Seachem's Reef Advantage Calcium b/c of recent developments with Dow. For the Magnesium, I mix 5 cups of Magnesium Chloride with 3 cups of Epsom Salts. However, in your DIY Magnesium Supplement article, you mention that the above ratio is skewed toward higher Epsom Salts to offset the Chloride addition from the Calcium Chloride (also applies to Seachem's supplement, which is Calcium Chloride). SO...

when I attempt to increase the Magnesium in my new mix-up water, I don't want to use this ratio- I'd want to use the one that produces no net affect on the sulfate/chloride ion ratio as to add balanced new water to my aquarium.

Here's my question: you state in the DIY Magnesium article that the natural (volume balance) is 10:1 Magnesium Chloride to Epsom salts to produce to net ion ratio change, but then a couple of paragraphs later (the 3rd recipe option), your ratio is 7.25 Magnesium Chloride to 0.75 Epsom salts, which is slightly less than 10:1. Which one do I use for no net ionic change?

Thanks for all of you help/insight!

Dave

Back